MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
thegizzard
On the road to being a farker

Default Lion / (Tiger) Questions and Answers from a satisfied customer

I own the Lion, and I like it. If you have questions about this product, please ask away. Many of the answers will apply to the Tiger too.

Ask away...

Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

I get a battery low alert constant and have tried 3 sets of batteries. The freshest pair read around 1.45v. I am assuming the remote is voltage hungry with backlighting etc. Can you check your batteries?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Squeal Appeal
Got Wood.

Battery low alert is your power supply battery, not remote battery.. Have you got your power battery hooked up to a power supply?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

I tied the wires to a 12v cigarette lighter adapter and tried a jump box the first time. Second time a tried a socket adapter.

Both times was a low battery display on the remote and on the PID. I will try a better source. I have an old laptop transformer that I'll give a whirl.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Battery is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
I tied the wires to a 12v cigarette lighter adapter and tried a jump box the first time. Second time a tried a socket adapter.

Both times was a low battery display on the remote and on the PID. I will try a better source. I have an old laptop transformer that I'll give a whirl.
If battery on remote set is 1.45 V, it is TOO LOW.
I measure my new battery is 1.59 V.
In most cases laptop adapter is not big enough.
If you use AC/DC adapter, use 12 VDC 2 amps or bigger amps.
If you use a battery, use 12 VDC 2 A.H or bigger.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Got it. Will reconnect higher power on both ends.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
thegizzard

Quote:
I get a battery low alert constant and have tried 3 sets of batteries. The freshest pair read around 1.45v. I am assuming the remote is voltage hungry with backlighting etc. Can you check your batteries?
The Lion does not have a remote, but I thought I could provide some information on how I power my Lion. The same options work for Tiger.

1) Sealed Lead Acid Battery.

This is a standard alarm system battery I had lying around the house. It is 12v @ 5ah. It produces more than enough power to run the Lion and Fan. The only downside to this battery is it's size (3.5" x 4" x 3")

I use this charger, that I purchased from amazon at the link below:

2) One day I forgot to charge the battery, so I used this 12v wall wort. At 12v @ 2A it provides enough power for the LION and Fan. As the inventor of the product has indicated, 12v @ 2A is the minimum that should be used. In my case, I had a few of these lying around.

Finally I purchased this Lithium Ion Battery from eBay, which I am waiting to arrive. It cost $31 and will take a couple of weeks to get here from China. I tried to find the equivalent at my local Batteries Plus store, but all they had were Seal Lead Acid and other similar options.

I am looking forward to the Lithium Ion for its long lasting power small size. It should fit in the Stainless Steel Box nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170794794136...ht_3649wt_1397

I hope this helps with the part of your question on powering the Tiger.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
thegizzard

Keep the questions coming. I will have some time to produce some documentation this week. I am working on a couple of guides which are going to help you all get set up.
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome! Thanks Gizz. for the info. As soon as I get a good power source I'll have to take you up on the offer. On a side why does the lion have an antenna if there's no remote?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Pardon my poor English

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks Gizz. for the info. As soon as I get a good power source I'll have to take you up on the offer. On a side why does the lion have an antenna if there's no remote?
Indeed LION is wireless too. WIFI does not need wire.
When I say wireless remote controller, I refer to TIGER.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, found a good 12v 3.5a power supply. Got it all hooked up and all controls seem operational. Remote works fine. All my batt. warnings are gone.

Now, where do I start? I tried the ops manual available on the website, but there was a lot of head scratching.

I played with most every feature pages on the remote, its just there's a lot of features/ settings that aren't intuitive to cooking. The meat has only 2 pages of settings while the pit temp. seems to have 4 pages.

Can't wait to figure this dude out. Any tips would be helpful..
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

I think I am answering my own questions, lol.
Read over the ops manual this morning over coffee as opposed to last night over beer. I feel like I have a little bit better understanding of the basics.

Still not ready to cook. Hopefully with a little more playing around I will get a feel for it and know what specific questions to ask.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #13
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

Okay I've got the controller hooked up and running to start a pork butt as I write this. I've set the pit tempt for 225. I've got it set in Auto mode. Initially it brought it up to temp. However, now thank goodness I don't have the butt on yet, because it has allowed the temp to drop down to 209 and the fan hasn't come back on to bring it back to temp. Is it just trying to learn the pit or should I be concerned.

I haven't tried to put in manual, because the last time I did I had a heck of time getting it back to auto mode.

Last edited by Gr8adventure; 08-12-2012 at 07:36 AM..
Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
thegizzard

What do you have UDC set at? What is your power source?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

UDC is 60 and now suddenly it working like it should and I have the butt on.

I finally used the remote to put the unit in Manual for a little while and then put it back into auto and for some reason that seemed to do the trick.

Now the only strange thing left is that when I put it into manual mode via the remote the low battery alarm goes off. I tested by turning it on and off several times and it happened every time.