MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
IowaWildHogsBbq
On the road to being a farker

Default Weber Smokey Mountain

Need some input. I am looking to upgrade my smokers and looking at getting two 22.5. I was wondering I am using one for pork butts the other for briskets. Do you need to refuel during these long cooks? What kind of charcoal do you use? I was also thinking about getting gurus for both of them. Just want to know what everyones exp is with these. I know alot of teams use them for comps very popular. What about smoking when it is cold how do they do. Thanks everyone.
IowaWildHogsBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

You already know what I think .

Anytime you want to try out my 18 you are welcome to come get it for a few days. I do think I am going to end up ordering the BBQ Guru PartyQ in December unless I can afford to go ahead and get a 22.
Fat Freddy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
IowaWildHogsBbq

Yeah I was looking at that one.
IowaWildHogsBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i need to refuel. usually after @ 6-7 hours. i cook @ 275. i use stubbs.

i stopped using the stoker this spring...so we'll see how they do in the cold.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Big Sexy

I had an 18 & then sold it to upgrade to the 22.
Using both, I never had to refuel.
I did, howerver, load that charcoal pan completley full. Nearly busting at the seams.

I use Kingsford Blue Bag.

I do mostly overnight cooks & I live in the Northwest (Seattle area), so I would say that it does fine in cold weather
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
i need to refuel. usually after @ 6-7 hours. i cook @ 275. i use stubbs.

i stopped using the stoker this spring...so we'll see how they do in the cold.

Expensive. but could always get the Silver Bullet Insullated Jacket by BBQ Guru as another option

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/2...er-Jacket.html
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I have the 18.5 and I have never had to refuel for anything when using a full load of Kingsford Blue. I have run it for over 16 hours on multiple occasions without touching the charcoal.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I have the 18.5 and I have never had to refuel for anything when using a full load of Kingsford Blue. I have run it for over 16 hours on multiple occasions without touching the charcoal.
agreed, but i can keep my "kettle" at 500* for 3 hours or 275* for 6 with only like 25 briquettes.

point being, the 18 and 22 are very different animals.

it takes alot more BTU's to keep a 22 hot. it is quite a bit larger than an 18.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

You could also by the Cajun Bandit High Airflow Expanded Charcoal ring that will hold a full 22lb bag of BBKingsford.

just sayin'.

http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

You should be able to run for 16 hours on one load of lump or briquettes in the 22.5. I've never used one, but they are very similar in fuel efficiency to a UDS, and most UDS can go for 16-18 hours on one load of fuel.

Maybe it's a water pan issue, if using water in the pan, try foiling it with no water. I know a huge mass of water will suck BTUs. A pan full of sand will take longer to get to target temp, but will hold that temp, instead of fighting it.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
You could also by the Cajun Bandit High Airflow Expanded Charcoal ring that will hold a full 22lb bag of BBKingsford.

just sayin'.

http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/

I see Cajun Bandit has a "bundle deal" for $65 for the SS door and this ring - might be a very good combo deal !! I May consider placing an order.

Does this ring have higher walls or more/bigger holes (or both) ?

What do they mean by "eliminates problems of vent jamming w/ the original ring " ?

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Default 22

I can get 12 hours plus easily all day everyday running it at 250-275F
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I see Cajun Bandit has a "bundle deal" for $65 for the SS door and this ring - might be a very good combo deal !! I May consider placing an order.

Does this ring have higher walls or more/bigger holes (or both) ?

What do they mean by "eliminates problems of vent jamming w/ the original ring " ?
If i remember correctly the high flow ring was because the vents on the original 22 were in a different location. I think they changed it. read it somewhere. Vinny you might want to go on over to the virtual webere bullet site and ask for a mod job there
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
If i remember correctly the high flow ring was because the vents on the original 22 were in a different location. I think they changed it. read it somewhere. Vinny you might want to go on over to the virtual webere bullet site and ask for a mod job there
Looks like you're right.. not needed for new 22's.. The SS door though looks like an improvement and can be ordered separately.

i'll send in my resume

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/partstrouble.html#tab

Damper Won't Close Fully Because Tab Hits Charcoal Grate (22-1/2" WSM only)
Editor's Note: Beginning in early 2010, owners have reported that this design issue has been fixed in new 22-1/2" WSMs.

The 22-1/2" WSM is designed such that a damper tab may hit the charcoal grate when the damper is in the closed position. This prevents the damper from closing fully.
Click this photo for a larger image; the problem area is circled in yellow.
The easiest solution is to break off the offending tab with a pair of pliers. The three remaining tabs are more than sufficient to control the open/close position of the damper.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I think you get longer burns if you use no water and a clay pot bottum as your heat sink.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote