Plenty of smoke...No smoke flavor?

firecracker jack

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Maybe some of you with stick burners, or someone with a Diamond Plate Pit can help me to understand. Spent forty bucks on a nice usda choice brisket and pulled an all nighter gettin' her done. I hadn't had my Diamond Plte Pit-60 series fired up much so I thought I'd use it. Fire it up, used plenty of hickory and oak to smoke the thirteen pound brisket. It didn't get foiled until more than eight hours in, so it was exposed to smoke for that long. All night long I could smell this beautiful sweet smell of hardwood which was just wetting my appetite, but to my disappointment when it was all said and done there was little to no smoke flavor.:doh:
I've had this problem in the past, so last night I tried placing some of my wood splits just close enough to the bed of coals to where it slowly ignite them and let them kind of smolder, trying to produce more smoke. That seemed to work for more smoke, just no more flavor... Anybody with a stick burner had similar results, or any suggestions?:confused:

firecracker jack

Was there a thick fat layer that prevented the smoke from reaching the meat?

What color is the smoke from your stack?

What color is the smoke from your stack?
Early in the evening it was thin blue to clear exhaust, as it grew dark and I was placing the splits strategically it might have changed to thick blue, or maybe white. :roll: It's hard to say it looked thicker at night but it was cool out and some of that appearence could have been moisture. It always maintained that distinctive sweet hardwood smell, it never smelled fouled or sooty.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1686640 said:
Just curious, how old is the wood?
Probably about a year and a half. I bought it mid to late summer last year, but it's been stored in my shed out of the weather.:thumb:

Joking of course. Your dilemma is certainly weird. I'm sure you've cooked plenty of briskets with the expected results.

The only time I've had smoke flavor diminished in my cookers is when I've covered the meat in olive oil or something similar to seal up the meat. I'll be watching to see what others say - its an interesting issue.

Joking of course. Your dilemma is certainly weird. I'm sure you've cooked plenty of briskets with the expected results.

The only time I've had smoke flavor diminished in my cookers is when I've covered the meat in olive oil or something similar to seal up the meat. I'll be watching to see what others say - its an interesting issue.

Well I've done quite a few briskets on the diamond plate, and to be honest I've never been truly satisfied with the amount of smoke flavor.:mad2: I just used a rub, I did however use a vinegar-beer based mop sauce once an hour, for the first four hours.

It could be that you have been desensitized to the Smoke, Having been exposed to it
through out the cooking process. That happens to me quite a bit...
Then a few days later, as I am eating leftovers it hits me..
And I think, "Man!! That's Good Stuff!!"

Yep, I bet when you have it for Breakfast tomorrow the smoke will be there.

It could be that you have been desensitized to the Smoke, Having been exposed to it

What he said happens to me all the time and I always find the next day it has much more smoke than I thought. Take a shower and blow your noise before you eat, it will help.:becky:
Dave

I'm with N8man. Had it happen to me many times hanging around the cooker.

Agree as well with N8. When I do long smokes with my Lang, I will notice a lack of smoke flavor. Part of it is too much inhaled smoked that has coated the inside of your nasal passages and sinuses which can make your taste numb to it.

It will be much better tomorrow and/or after a shower and sinus rinse.

With that being said, I have found that cooking with wood does impart less of a smoke flavor and ring than using coal and wood chunks or chips. When cooking with wood, you are not 'smoking' per se like you do with chips and chuncks but with that long of cook, you should still have plenty of smoke flavor.

'Smoke flavor' is subjective though. I like a lot of smoke, so I let the wood lightly smolder for a bit in the low temp, early stages after I get a big bed of oak coals going, to get that ring that I like.

What N8 said happens to me also. By the time I get to eat what I been cooking all day I can't really judge the smoke flavor so much either. left overs taste great as they should and all of my guest rave so I am happy.

Yep, shower and get outta the smoke will help you can become desensitized to the smoke... Also do you smoke cigarettes? I used to smoke and it killed my tastebuds.. when I quit it opened up a whole new world of flavor:-D

Back