Murphysboro here we come.....

B

bigmeatbbq

Just got off the phone with my buddy and we finalized our plans to go to Murphysboro and the 17th Street Bar and Grill. We've been talking about going for over a year. It's about a 6 hour drive from here and I can't wait to get there. I've heard a lot of the brethren talking about this place and after bon appetit magazine named it the best I knew I had to go.
I'm sure many of you have been there and I was wondering what else to order besides the ribs?
My wife must finally have realized that driving for 6 hours just to eat BBQ is perfectly normal for my way of thinking.
Mrs.Meat says she will charge the camera for me so I hope to have pron to post when we return.
mods please move if posted wrong

Have you read the book 'Peace, Love, & Bar Be Que'???

Great read written by Mike Mills of the 17th....

Yeah, read the book before you go, it will give you a greater appreciation of the place.

i eat at the one in ofallon alot and the one in murphysboro 3-4 times a year. it is always good. i always get pulled pork to judge a place. there's is consistently good. i have had most everything one the menu and have never been disapointed and i am very critical of commercial bbq. you can get the book at both places. i think you'll enjoy it. don't forget to try the beans.

Can you believe I spent my college days in Carbondale and never tried this place?:mad:

our son is there . we just visited a few weeks ago. i seemed funny i don't believe anything has changed down there in 30 years. still a fun place to go to school.

and USED to have the best Halloween party in the country....:twisted:

our son is there . we just visited a few weeks ago. i seemed funny i don't believe anything has changed down there in 30 years. still a fun place to go to school.

and USED to have the best Halloween party in the country....:twisted:

Darn tootin! I was there for undergrad and Grad!
My undergrad years were the last years of the Halloween experience :twisted::biggrin:

Try the pulled pork. My brother lived 2 blocks from there while he was in college. I fell in love with BBQ right then and there. The contest in the fall is a great experience also.

My wife really liked the coleslaw (It's fairly vinegary if I remember right) We went to one of his MCB restaurants in Vegas and had a great experience. Your not crazy for driving 6 hours. I'm two hours North of you and looking for an excuse to head down there. Maybe on the way to Memphis.

Back