• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question for Minnesota Brethren

gmag

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here is a question for all of my Minnesota brethren:

Do you know of a superb meat market/butcher in the Twin Cities area? I have been going to the Anoka Meat Market but I wanted to see what other options were out there. I am not really a fan of Von Hansen.

I am also looking for a local supplier of waygu beef or berkshire pork.

I am interested in responses here too! I don't like Von Hanson's either.

There is a place called Quetopia in Minnetonka I think that told my brother they will be moving/expanding and hopefully adding a full service meat counter this summer.

American Beef 1430 County Rd C W Roseville and Kowalski's Markets for Wagyu.
Clancey's on 43rd and Upton in Minneapolis. I think I have seen Wagyu at Sam's.
Curly

I am interested in responses here too! I don't like Von Hanson's either.

There is a place called Quetopia in Minnetonka I think that told my brother they will be moving/expanding and hopefully adding a full service meat counter this summer.

I go to Quetopia regularly. I would be shocked if he added a meat counter, but I would love it if he did!

About 2 miles north of Quetopia on Shady Oak Road is Nelsons meats. Not sure of the availability of Wagyu, but it does have full packers.(although they are $5.49/lb)
Curly

In lowwer town on saturday the farmers market
Prairie Pride Farm they have the dates there there on the right
http://www.prairiepridepork.com/

and stop into Heartland deli on the other side of the street there they are
higher in price butt you never know what they have they age there own
beef there just somthing to see.

Coastal Sea food has wagyu and not all cuts Mondays are 20% off Wagyu and Tuesday is 55 and over 20% off everyting
http://www.coastalseafoods.com/home

St. Paul

74 S. Snelling
(Grand & Snelling)
St.Paul, MN
651-698-4888
Our St. Paul store is conveniently located ½ block from the intersection of Grand and Snelling in Lincoln Commons. We are proud to have been serving and educating our community since 1993.
Minneapolis

2330 Minnehaha Ave S.
Minneapolis, MN

And then theres resturant Depo on Como Ave across from the fair grounds
but you its whole sale so you ether need a tax id number or if your a kcba
member you get day passes.
Now this is for other meats like packers there were 2.35lb last time I was there.

Costco
Sams
Restaurant depot

There is a shop called the Angus Meat Market that though Ive never been there. I guess he is a BBQ'er as well. their website looked pretty decent though. Its off of 61 just norh of hwy 36 maplewood?

I dont like to dis places that dont deserve it but Von Hansen's is garbage. I was having a rib emergency once and I figured they could set me up. what was there was a 1/2 rack of bb's, a frozen rack of bb's in cryo from hormel. They tried to talk me into buying country style ribs. I couldnt get out of there fast enough. the time before that I was looking for a whole shoulder. called them and they said they has a couple. went there and it was supermarket style 4lb butts.

If you don't mind driving north, I would recommend Grand Champion Meats in Foley. I've been using them for years and their products are outstanding. I too can't stand Von A**holes. I tried a couple of their locations a few years ago and the service and products garbage.

I gave up trying to find meat in the cities. I buy everything when I visit the inlaws in Worthington. I can get a pork butt for 1/2 the cost of Von Hanson's.

I haven't been in a while, but Nelson's Meats in Hopkins is old school. I would call them and tell them what you want, I would be willing to say that they would get it for you. Now I need to stop there soon myself. Good folks there.
http://www.nelsonsmeats.com/

It's an hour south, but its tough to beat Steve's Meat Market in Ellendale off I-35. Berkshire pork is available, don't know about the Wagyu. I haven't found anywhere in the Metro that's as good.

I am chinese in Beijing,China
I have a penpal since 1996 in twin cities
She tells me that twin cities do not like BBQ
Seems she is wrong

Lol, I don't live far From morelli's but I've never been there. Supposedly the place is the greatest meat market/liquor store in the world but its just a front for organized crime

I am chinese in Beijing,China
I have a penpal since 1996 in twin cities
She tells me that twin cities do not like BBQ
Seems she is wrong
This is how horrible BBQ is in MN, "The 33rd Annual American Royal World Series of Barbecue Open contest concluded Sunday with Minnesota's Shiggin & Grinnin (Derek Schansberg, Jeff Vanderlinde and Ted Moonen) besting a record field of 544 other teams to take home the title of Grand Champion and the $12,500 check."

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archiv...rand-champion-at-american-royal-barbecue-open

I stick to the Burnsville Costco and STP Rest Depot. Someone recently told me about a place in STP called Morreli's for meat. It's an Italian deli too and supposedly has great prices on liquor to boot. Has anyone been there? http://www.morellismarket.com/Morellis_Interior.html

Morelli's is the real deal. I am from up north but when I visit the Twin Cities I always swing by Morelli's. There meat is good stuff and really reasonably priced. I actually go there for the booze. They have 6-10 brands of each style of liquour and are dirt cheap. I recently picked up a 1.75 of Jim Beam Black for $25. It is usually in the high $30's up where I live. I do not recommend going at rush hour times towards the weekend though. It gets busy. Almost forgot to add; they don't take credit cards so bring some cash.

I forgot all about Nelson's. I grew up near there and haven't been there in years. I'll have to make the drive for old times sake. Plus, it is just up the road from Quetopia so it is a double bonus.

Thanks for the comment on Morreli's. I'll have to make sure I check it out now.

I have bought a few things from Grundhofers Meats in Hugo. Pricing is good and have a good selection. The gummy bear brats are the best there... Otherwise we go to costco when we visit for most of the purchases.

Back