pig roast

D

daddywoofdawg

I got a call today for a pig roast for 200 next July.I've only done one pig roast so far,so I'm trying to figure out how big a pig to get(quote).and how many 1/4's would you quote? they want the following:

Pig (how many lbs of meat do you get out of a pig?)
Some chicken 1/4's for those who don't eat pork
Baked beans
tater salad
watermelon
buns
How big a pig do I need?
And how many 1/4's would you add?
98% adults (class reunion)
Dinner at 6pm

If you want to feed 200 then you would need a 200 lb pig. That's the rule of thumb - one pound (pre-cooked weight) per person. That has typically worked out for me - though I have only done this for parties, not a paying gig.

I got a call today for a pig roast for 200 next July.I've only done one pig roast so far,so I'm trying to figure out how big a pig to get(quote).and how many 1/4's would you quote? they want the following:

Pig (how many lbs of meat do you get out of a pig?)
Some chicken 1/4's for those who don't eat pork
Baked beans
tater salad
watermelon
buns
How big a pig do I need?
And how many 1/4's would you add?
98% adults (class reunion)
Dinner at 6pm

I don't do catering anymore, but used to work for a caterer years ago. I don't know how YOU can quote the number of 1/4s - I would have them tell you how many they want. There's no way for you to know how many will want chicken. Again, I'm no expert - others may correct me, but I just don't know how you can do it...

I would price a 150# pig and 150 chix quarters, 2 full pans beans, 2 full pans potato salad, 15 doz. rolls, and about 12 whole watermelons.

I would price a 150# pig and 150 chix quarters, 2 full pans beans, 2 full pans potato salad, 15 doz. rolls, and about 12 whole watermelons.

Just curious, when you quote a 150 pound pig for 200 ppl,, are you quoting live weight or dressed weight?. That size crowd I would order between 200-220 lbs live weight. (have to go by live weight in my area)

150 lb pig will get ya about 50 lbs usable meat @ 1/3 lb per person = 150 servings.

Ive cooked a few whole hogs, figured fresh weight you will lose 40-45% total weight due to shrinkage and the skeleton which you cant eat.
That came from my deceased father in law who butchered hogs his entire life, and we bbq-ed many of them.

Back