My first solo. And... I have a name...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a rib cookoff at a local festival over Labor Day weekend that I decided to enter. It is limited to 22 teams, so getting into it is difficult, but I filled out the application and sent it in a couple of weeks ago just for fun. I received a letter in the mail today that I am registered for the cookoff!

They are giving out trophies to the top three in four categpories...

Best Sauce
Best Ribs
Best Ambiance
Best Overall

They are also giving away a Weber Genesis Gold in a drawing at the end.

Check in starts at 7:00 AM and the first judging is at 1:30PM. They have three rounds of judging depending on your space number, and then a final round at 3:30PM. One interesting rule... Meat has to be raw, but can be marinated. I normally don't marinate ribs, and I don't like to rub them too far in advance, so mine will probably be au naturel when i arrive, but I thought that this was an interesting rule.

The event is held in a parking lot, and the rules say that each participant is limited to one parking place, so I'm guessing that my 10x10 EzUp isn't going to fit. Bummer... I'm planning on taking my WSM and my kettle plus a couple of tables, chairs, etc.

Bill tells me that one of our Brethren, Mad Dawg, did well in the cookoff last year. It should be fun!

Oh yeah! When I filled out the application I had to put down a team name, so I guess I've made up my mind...

I guess I am officially...

Smokin' In The Suburbs

Sounds like a good time. I'd go ahead and enter the sauce category too. If it's just a one day thing, you should be ok without the EZ-up. If it's not too much trouble, I'd pack it anyway and wait for your neighbors to show up and see if they have a problem with you putting it up. Never hurts to ask. The three rounds of judging and then a final round has me wondering.....is this blind judging or onsite judging?

Good luck!!

Ron,
That should be a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off the top of my head:
Might want to remove membrane and "whatever" in advance--save a few minutes.
Obviously, premix rubs, mops, etc. Keep it simple.
WSM should cover it for cooking needs, but...?
Ambiance...a Brethren banner should do it :lol:
"One parking space" should do it for ribbies only :lol: Easy Packin' and clean-up :lol: :lol:

Any link to site? Add name to thread title or text so we can follow your adventure better--OK?

Name--I loved "Smokin in the Burbs" from your other thread :lol:
You are not locked in for KCBS based on a local event team name.
"Smokin in the Burbs" is so, well so-- "you", IMHO. :lol:

I know you will have a great time!

TIM

Good luck Ron and Brian

Brian, Mad_Dawg, was first place last year.

I was going to enter, but it would have been hard to cook from the parade line where I need to be with my farking 6y old cheerleader.

FARK!!

12 more years and she is on her own :)

I'll stop by and see if I can help in any way, time permitting

Bill... You're always welcome. I was going to PM you to see if you wanted to help, but it sounds like you have something much more important to do! I'm recruiting my daughter as my assistant! I don't know what name Brian entered under, but they sent me the list of winners from last year, and the same guy won best sauce and best ribs, so that's probably him.

Good suggestions, Tim... I doubt that I can get a banner in time, however. I have some pig decor items that should lend to the ambiance, but beyond that, i have no other ideas right now.

Richie, the rules say that judging is blind, but it also says that they come to pick up the ribs in three rounds based on space number, and then it shows a final round at 3:30. I don't know if that means more ribs or not. I'm going to call the organizer for some clarification.

Here's the link... Not much info on the rib cookoff. Look under Special Events.

http://www.lastfling.org/index.shtml

Man--they have a lot going on :lol:
Sounds like a fun time for all.

Have a great time.

TIM

Ron.....that's the reason I was asking to see if you might need to keep some back in reserve. The first time we actually went to the finals in a MIM cook, we never thought about keeping anything back in reserve. This was a first for us. When they told us we were in the finals, everything that we didn't use was still cooking away on the smoker. Needless to say, we didn't win that one but learned a very good lesson. I'd definately get some clarification.

It'll be a fun way to spend the Labor Day weekend regardless.

Good luck, Ron! Looking forward to hearing your results and more while you prep for the contest!

Ron it sounds like you have the ribs covered but what about the sauce? maybe all of us can help saw this on another forum the other day.
I start with one ingredients then someone else adds another one with an amount untill we have a sauce, you fine tune it and we have a 1st place..

1 pint fresh raspberrys cook a few mins with a sweetner and liquid the amounts to follow then strain.

next and good luck.

Mel

That sounds like a good way to "ease in" to competition! Best of luck to you!

Good luck, brother! Knock 'em dead and take home some iron.

I cooked there a few times when I lived in Willowbrook. First year, I asked ahead if I could infringe a little with my EZ up. They said sure. When I got there, another guy was doing it already, so we shared the middle spot.
Then some snooty bitches came over and told me I had to take it down immediately.
I told them that I wasn't an asshole, and I didn't want them thinking I was an asshole, and that I'd be happy to move it but didn't want to be known as an asshole, because I wasn't an asshole and I thought I had permission. Bad move. They later showed up as on site judges.
Did I mention the Margaritas at 8:00am?

Another time I brought my Jedmaster trailer, and backed it in my one spot. They didn't like that either. Everybody else had WSMs and kettles, but I didn't win the Most Original Cooking Method award. The organizers didn't like me very much.

They finally changed to blind judging and I got third one year. A guy with a roaster on his grill and some cherry sauce used to win all the time. Some of the cooks are good guys.

Back