MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimcoBBQ View Post
How many pounds of charcoal do you have in there?
I didn't measure this time. I did measure on a post I did on my chubby. Based on that I'd guess I put 10lbs in.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
Jason TQ

So here are some pics of the end products. Overall the cook went great. The butts almost all finished at different times. What is funniest is the smallest butt finished last and the largest of the 6 finished first . Haven't had that happen in a while.

Here are the whole chickens. Man they were juicy.

Here's an idiot and finished leg quarters. The top rack definitely gets more heat. The skin was almost crispy on those and the rack below the skin was chewy, but I was cooking it all for pulled chicken.

6 butts yielded 27.5lbs of pulled pork. Freezing 25lbs of it and the other 2.5lbs is for brunswick stew tomorrow.

Getting a better feel for my BWS. Burning around 275 goes through the charcoal faster. I filled the pan (not sure how much) and towards the end I wasn't sure if it would make it all the way since I cooked the chicken right as the butts were coming off. So I added a few more lbs for good measure. I'd guess is was 12-13lbs and that lasted around 12hrs. I had to fill the water pan a 2nd time.

Tomorrow is a semi full (no chicken) comp practice. Having some friends over to cook for.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Great minds think alike, I did 10lbs of quarters on new years day and I swear we could swap pics. There is an advantage to be had with the top rack when used right.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome thread - great looking meats! Only thing I could recommend with freezing that much meat is Food Saver or Vacuum sealer! I can't say how much I've lost cause of zip locks...

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
Awesome thread - great looking meats! Only thing I could recommend with freezing that much meat is Food Saver or Vacuum sealer! I can't say how much I've lost cause of zip locks...
Thanks. I do own a vacuum sealer, but was out of bags. For pulled pork I don't mind the ziplock freezer bags since you can get almost all the air out. Maybe a tiny pocket of air by the zipper is left, but works pretty well in a pinch. Things like ribs are tough to get the air out and I only use the vacuum bags.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

So how are you liking the G2 Party so far? Any complaints so far?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #22
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireburd View Post
So how are you liking the G2 Party so far? Any complaints so far?
I am really liking them. No real complaints so far. They food has all been great and should only get better with more experience. Having to empty and occasionally clean the water pan after cooking might be the only thing I can think of so far that may not be "optimal" and that is kind of stretching it too .

Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Good to hear. My G2 party is in transport as we speak so I've really enjoyed your posts this last week. I'm fairly new to smoking so I am just trying to suck in all of the knowledge here.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Great write up Jason. Food looks good and the added racks are going to come in handy. Nice job.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->