What state has the best competetion teams?

A true national BBQ championship?

It would be great to find a way to bring the top teams from all regions and societies/associations together in true national championship format - A BBQ Superbowl or World Series type of event.

Seems like it could draw some big time sponsors and TV Coverage and be a well paid trip for all the regional champions with some significant prize money and bragging rights.

It would be great to find a way to bring the top teams from all regions and societies/associations together in true national championship format - A BBQ Superbowl or World Series type of event.

Seems like it could draw some big time sponsors and TV Coverage and be a well paid trip for all the regional champions with some significant prize money and bragging rights.

It's been trying to exist, it's called the Best of the Best, put on by the National BBQ News in Douglas, Georgia... The same problems with distance plague this contest, besides the fact they keep charging an entry fee for the Invitational... But it's a neat contest, they take rules from several organizations, and meld them together.....

http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/

Not to restart the civil war, but do teams from any one state stand out in KCBS competitions on a year in and year out basis?

This may be too simplistic a question considering that KCBS competitions are held throughout the United States.

OK here is the deal, in Texas we have a few sanctioning bodies. IBCA, Lone Star and Gulf Coast. In the past there have been KCBS comps here as well. There was even a joint competition called "meeting in the middle" I believe. I think it was in Stillwater OK last year. All pits turned in to both IBCA and KCBS, so there were two sets of turn-ins.

All told there are approximately 200 sanctioned comps a year in Texas... I believe that number is accurate. IBCA has a great website whereas the Lone Star is about as cheesy as they come. I am basing that on my experience and nobody elses. I have never checked out the gulf coast website because they are gulf coast and not too close to home. The rules for each sanctioning body are roughly the same. Both Gulf Coast and Lone Star are shoot-offs from IBCA. Many folks will cook in all three associations and some folks prefer to stick with just one. IBCA is also nationwide, they sanction cook-offs as far away as both coasts.

The main but not only differences between IBCA and KCBS: KCBS has a training program for their judges where IBCA utilizes judges from the sponsoring organization such as VFW, K of C, volunteer Fire Dept, Chamber of Commerce...etc etc... There are pluses and minuses to both. Another difference is the meat selection and garnish. KCBS uses baby backs where IBCA uses spares. IBCA turns in fully jointed half chickens, KCBS 6 pieces of the same. KCBS turns in pulled pork and IBCA doesn't...unless they have added categories. KCBS garnishes, IBCA doesn't (I personally think it is silly to garnish, afterall it is a meat competition)

I am going to participate in a KCBS cook-off this year. We are still trying to determine the logistics on that one.

There was even a joint competition called "meeting in the middle" I believe. I think it was in Stillwater OK last year. All pits turned in to both IBCA and KCBS, so there were two sets of turn-ins.

So how did it turn out?

Thanks for the overview -- very interesting.

Not that I have any braggin rights ............Yet.............soon it'll be Kentucky.

The Pacific Northwest has their own section of the monthly Bullsheet

Even the KCBS recognizes them as the best, so the argument is moot

Ah...Bill...the Pacific Northwest is not a state the last time that I checked.:razz:

The Pacific Northwest has their own section of the monthly Bullsheet

Even the KCBS recognizes them as the best, so the argument is moot

Not even us in the PNW pay attention to what Bob Lyon writes but there are a number of teams that do very well when cooking in other regions of the country.

I have cooked with outstanding cooks from the mid west, SE, and mid south and the west, because of this and the classes you can attend you can learn and work styles from all over the country.

The best cooks are coming from all over the country, internet just may play a role.

Best of the Best

It's been trying to exist, it's called the Best of the Best, put on by the National BBQ News in Douglas, Georgia... The same problems with distance plague this contest, besides the fact they keep charging an entry fee for the Invitational... But it's a neat contest, they take rules from several organizations, and meld them together.....

http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/

2006 Best of the best
6 of the top ten teams were from florida

KCBS has a training program for their judges where IBCA utilizes judges from the sponsoring organization such as VFW, K of C, volunteer Fire Dept, Chamber of Commerce...etc etc... There are pluses and minuses to both. Another difference is the meat selection and garnish. KCBS uses baby backs where IBCA uses spares. IBCA turns in fully jointed half chickens, KCBS 6 pieces of the same. KCBS turns in pulled pork and IBCA doesn't...unless they have added categories. KCBS garnishes, IBCA doesn't (I personally think it is silly to garnish, afterall it is a meat competition)

I am going to participate in a KCBS cook-off this year. We are still trying to determine the logistics on that one.

Just to clarify..
KCBS does certify judges, but the contests are not required to use those judges. Many contests use "celebrity" judges from the sponsor as well.

KCBS does not specify the type of pork rib you can use.... so you can turn in spare ribs or loin back/baby backs. (I always turn in spares)

KCBS does not require you turn in 6 of the same pieces of chicken, just 6 portions. Many people turn in thighs, but you could turn in breast, thighs and legs if you wanted - as long as there are at least 6 portions total in the container.

KCBS does not require garnish. But if you choose to garnish, it has to be green leaf lettuce, curly parsley, or cilantro/flat leaf parsley. I have not used greens to garnish my pork in quite a while... But would never turn in chicken in a bare box.

Good luck this year!!!

Just to clarify..
KCBS does certify judges, but the contests are not required to use those judges. Many contests use "celebrity" judges from the sponsor as well.

KCBS does not specify the type of pork rib you can use.... so you can turn in spare ribs or loin back/baby backs. (I always turn in spares)

KCBS does not require you turn in 6 of the same pieces of chicken, just 6 portions. Many people turn in thighs, but you could turn in breast, thighs and legs if you wanted - as long as there are at least 6 portions total in the container.

KCBS does not require garnish. But if you choose to garnish, it has to be green leaf lettuce, curly parsley, or cilantro/flat leaf parsley. I have not used greens to garnish my pork in quite a while... But would never turn in chicken in a bare box.

Good luck this year!!!

Thanks for the clarification.

I would have chosen babybacks, less fat better flavor and they cook faster.

I realize that most folks turn in 6 thighs, actually most probably prepare a dozen or more and pick out the best 6. I would do the same if I cooked KCBS. Just so you know, we turn in a 1/2 chicken but when there are more than 50 we will turn in two halves.

Still wouldn't do garnish.

Back