• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Where to buy Jalopenos for ABT's ?

Catfish Charlie

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've seen enough posts and pictures of ABTs that I've got the itch. If like everything else I get carried away and decide I need to make 50 or more for a party, where might I buy fresh Jalopenos and not pay thru the nose for them? Are these a typical grocery (Walmarrt, Meijer, Krogers, etc) produce item, or am I buying at farmer's markets and produce stands? I live in Michigan, so I'm assuming they might even be a seasonal item around here.

Appreciate any and all feedback

Try the farmers market. I just bought some at the local grocery store and paid 2.39 per pound. I purchased about 2 pounds. It was enough for 7 of us.

Down here, they are at every grocery store. I grow my own every summer, and they will grow up there. They are really easy to grow. Pests generally leave them alone.

When picking them out, go for feel, not so much for looks. They should feel firm. A dark green color is good, too, but little lines that make them look a little dried out is not necessarily a problem. Jalepeños grown a little stingy on the water will often be hotter, from my experience.

Be sure to clean the seeds out, because they are bitter. The whitish membrane has a lot of heat, so leave it or remove it depending on your tastes.

CD

If not using the ones I grow, Wal-Mart is by far my best option. They usually have a large supply of quality, large size peppers that are just right for ABT's. Sometimes, they are actually too large, but I get by. :wink:

If I need a whole lot I buy them at Asian markets for way less than a buck per pound. Farmers markets around here are usually higher.

Thanks a lot for the feedback - I think Walmart wins (since I've got one only a couple miles away)

Since this is your first time with ABT's, please be aware that they are time consuming to make.
When I do a large batch, and 50 is large, I do them the day before and just refrig them overnight.
Also, If they are appetizers, I find that cutting them in half and doing "boats" make a good serving size. Also much easier to get the seeds and veins completely out if you don't want a heat surprise for your guests :oops:

In our area Walmart has the highest price for them.
My neighborhood market has them for about 10 cents each, which is half of what WM wants.

Have fun with them.

Good Eats

TIM

OK, as it turned out I was once again over thinking things, and the peppers are available pretty much everywhere - just had to look, which isn't my first instict :>)

I bought a dozen for the maiden voyage. Cut in half, removed seeds/fins, sprinkled in a little brown sugar, filled to top w/ cream cheese, wrapped with hickory smoked bacon, and on the smoker they go in a few minutes. Prep time for the 24 pcs wasn't too bad - cant wait to taste these bad boys

You can speed up making them by using a pastry bag...at least that's what I think it's called. I swiped one from my wife. Just fill it with what ever you want and squeeze away.

OK, as it turned out I was once again over thinking things, and the peppers are available pretty much everywhere - just had to look, which isn't my first instict :>)

I bought a dozen for the maiden voyage. Cut in half, removed seeds/fins, sprinkled in a little brown sugar, filled to top w/ cream cheese, wrapped with hickory smoked bacon, and on the smoker they go in a few minutes. Prep time for the 24 pcs wasn't too bad - cant wait to taste these bad boys

just wait till u make your own sausage or use andouile yum

Made up 72 last night. 36 whole peppers halved. Filled with mixture of 8 oz. cream cheese, 8 oz. grated cheddar, about 1/2 pound leftover chopped pork butt, and some southwest chipotle seasoning then wrapped with bacon. Will be cooking them this Friday at the Huntsville, AL contest.

anything under 1.49 a pound is a good price. believe it or not wal mart and local grocery stores are cheaper than most produce companies for jalapenos

Back