Cornell Chicken baste/cooking sauce

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This recipe was developed at Cornell University many years ago when
BBQ/grilling was just starting to "take off". The only change we've ever made
to this recipe is using white pepper instead of black.

The amount of salt and oil can be adjusted and the egg can be left out of the recipe if you don't need it to help emulsify the mix.

Bob Baker's Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce:

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt *
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add oil and beat again. Add other ingredients, then stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes. Makes enough for 10 chicken halves. Leftover sauce can be stored in a glass jar and stored in a refrigerator for several weeks.

Baker suggests that to cook chicken broilers, you need a hot, non-flaming fire. Broilers should be placed over the cooking fire after the flames are gone. Use this barbecue sauce as a basting material, he suggests. During cooking, the sauce should be brushed on the chicken every few minutes.

* Salt may be eliminated to suit health needs.

hey Brooklyn, thanks for the bump on this.
When everyone started talking mayo and the white BBQ sauce on here, I thought about this recipe and was going to dig through my stuff for a recipe. Chad's recipe is about what I have used when I tried it a few times. The egg might help form glaze on chicken as it cooks.

As you can see from the ingredients, the Cornell BBQ sauce is basically a very thin homemade Mayonnaise.

The way I liked this best was to smoke spackcocked chickens till almost done, then finish them off over direct heat, glazing with this sauce.

Cornell Chicken @ PJ's in Saratoga Springs

That is some really good chit. There's a place in Saratoga Springs, NY that has these huge brick charcoal pits out back, no wood, but the chicken is just awesome, tender and charcoal smokey, a light but 'alive' taste. They also make their own lingonberry soda. A real kind of 50's-60's throwback place....Nothing else on their menu is all that great, que-wise, unfortunately...but they've been doing the Cornell chicken for 20+ years.

4-meat "Superfecta" platter. The thin stuff is "brisket", and there's sausage + ribs.
4meatsbeanspotatoes.jpg

the potatoes in the back are deep fried Saratoga chips with cheese + bacon

Here're their pits:
pitsatpjs1.jpg

http://www.pjsbarbq.com/

Back