MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #301
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

Just stopped at Lowes on the way home from work, they had the Char-Griller and a Performer side by side. Honestly the way someone had put the demo model together really had me debating on just getting the Performer. I ended up with the Akorn.

Got the grill, cover and Weber grate for 358.41. For those not wanting to pay frieght for shipping and don't have access to a truck, I got mine in the front seat of my two door Pontiac without too much issue, lucky I didn't make any left turns.

Won't have time to put it together till the weekend, gotta pick up some RTV and lump anyways. The guy I talked to at Lowes said they couldn't keep them in stock, outselling all of the other charcoal grills they offer.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #302
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat_Rate View Post
Just stopped at Lowes on the way home from work, they had the Char-Griller and a Performer side by side. Honestly the way someone had put the demo model together really had me debating on just getting the Performer. I ended up with the Akorn.

Got the grill, cover and Weber grate for 358.41. For those not wanting to pay frieght for shipping and don't have access to a truck, I got mine in the front seat of my two door Pontiac without too much issue, lucky I didn't make any left turns.

Won't have time to put it together till the weekend, gotta pick up some RTV and lump anyways. The guy I talked to at Lowes said they couldn't keep them in stock, outselling all of the other charcoal grills they offer.
I think you will enjoy it.....I'm loving mine so far

Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #303
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Flat Rate: I know what you mean about how they are put together for display at Lowes. When I looked at the one closest to us it was assembled horribly! Then when I went to checkout the cashier told me if I wanted to pick it up tomorrow they had free assembly and asked me if I wanted them to assemble it I politely told her NO I would rather put mine together myself lol

The only QC problem I had with mine when putting it together was the lid didn't line up perfectly with the bottom of the cooker however it only took about 1 minute to remedy that with a slight tweak to the hinge and now it is all good! Hope you like yours as much as I have enjoyed mine so far.
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #304
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Here's the FINAL review video... Artisan Bread on the Char-Griller AKORN Kamado...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20mnqwJtqbE

Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #305
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky D View Post
Correct. The AMOUNT of time is what's a better indicator. If the coals were sucked into space, the fire would be out immediately. That not withstanding, if you close off the air and 60 minutes later the coals are out, that's pretty impressive, as they used up the air in the Acorn and then snuffed.

Small leaks will give those coals a very slow burn until they finally die out. I'm seeing 4 hours or so like JM. I'm not complaining, and I'll try to tweak it a bit with silicone, but heat management seems ok thus far. I just have to be careful not to let those coals get overfed, or it's 300 degrees, unless I just try to shut everything down. :(

Coals: Me:
So it is taking 4+ hours for your cooker to die out after you are done cooking? When you say it takes that long you are referring to how long it takes to kill the coals and not how long it takes to bring the grill temp down to ambient temperatures right.

After I performed the low and slow trial mine died out within 20 minutes. Even the one time I ran the temps up to 550-600 and shut it down it was out within 45 minutes however it did hold heat for awhile. I don't understand what the difference is. Next time I do a real nice medium heat for a decent amount of time I will record how long it takes the temps to come down.
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #306
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I'm using the dreaded Cowboy lump at the moment until the two bags I bought run out. I'll be switching to Royal Oak at that time.
I really disliked the Cowboy lump that the guy gave me when I bought my egg from him, but now that I've learned to use it, it's been working great for me. I suppose it's what you're used to using, and then developing a level of confidence in it.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #307
PrinceofQ

Got my Akorn all put together yesterday..can't wait to cook on it this week!

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331636510.196208.jpg (39.1 KB, 573 views)

Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #308
rawtalent

Mine was assembled for free by Lowe's and no problems with assembly. They didn't have an official Char-griller Acorn cover so I got a generic one for &7.50 and it fits perfect.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #309
PrinceofQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtalent View Post
Mine was assembled for free by Lowe's and no problems with assembly. They didn't have an official Char-griller Acorn cover so I got a generic one for &7.50 and it fits perfect.
The display model they had at my Lowe's was put together like crap. I decided after reading other peoples comments in this post to just bring it home and put it together myself just to be safe.

$7.50 is a really good price for a cover. Let us know what cover it is, in case someone doesn't want to spend almost $30 on the Char-Griller one :)

Jay

Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #310
SheppsBBQ
Got Wood.

Hmm... I work at Lowe's and a customer just returned a Kamado only because they couldn't put it together. I have a chance to buy it on "clearance" if the wife lets me get another grill. I'm gonna talk to a manager and see what kind of deal I can get. Should I go for it?
SheppsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #311
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Here's the FINAL review video... Artisan Bread on the Char-Griller AKORN Kamado...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20mnqwJtqbE
Bread looks really good - especially for your first go at artisan bread. Nice job.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #312
33Posse
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheppsBBQ View Post
Hmm... I work at Lowe's and a customer just returned a Kamado only because they couldn't put it together. I have a chance to buy it on "clearance" if the wife lets me get another grill. I'm gonna talk to a manager and see what kind of deal I can get. Should I go for it?
yes, you should
33Posse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #313
PrinceofQ

Quote:
Buy it!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #314
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
One word. DO IT! That is all.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #315
MDRex
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceofQ View Post
$7.50 is a really good price for a cover. Let us know what cover it is, in case someone doesn't want to spend almost $30 on the Char-Griller one :)

Jay
I got the Master Forge 30" round smoker cover for my Kamado Joe at Lowes. Fit's perfectly to the bottom of the grill and cost $6.50. It is pretty thin vinyl, so I don't think it would stand up well to a lot of On N Off in the winter.
MDRex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado