MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Default Myron Mixon Smokers?

Anyone have one? Used one? Seen one up close?

Are they worth the price compared to others in that range?

http://www.myronmixonsmokers.com/

[not in the market for one right now just curious]
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I actually like the design, but really balked at the prices offered at the Atlanta BBQ Fest last year. My favorite BBQ joint (Southern Soul on SSI) has one of the larger units as a rib cooker.

With that said, I think the Langs are still the best bang for the buck.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux View Post
I actually like the design, but really balked at the prices offered at the Atlanta BBQ Fest last year. My favorite BBQ joint (Southern Soul on SSI) has one of the larger units as a rib cooker.

With that said, I think the Langs are still the best bang for the buck.
I didnt know Southern Soul used them. Friends of ours just moved to SSI and I have been dieing to go. The one day we were they they were closed for a party for the cast of anchorman 2 (no joke) and the other day they were to busy and the girls made us move on.

We plan on going back sometime in August and they promise me we will get to go for sure this time
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
jfenton78
Got rid of the matchlight.

I do like that they have Myron Mixon shelves.??? So what are those...are they shelves made to look like Myron?
jfenton78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

His smokers are insanely expensive. I put in an offer for the Auburn custom smoker which was originally listed at like $6-7k. It got as low as $3k which I could have bid on but I needed more room. I thought about it deeply but I just did not see many people having used them so couldn't base my purchase just on looks and a grand champions name on it. I needed to hear on results and there just are none for the normal bbq brethren crowd.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Southern Soul uses all Langs but the MM rib cooker. Lang's shop is only about 40 minutes away from the restaurant.

And the racks looked like any other smoker rack from what I remember...
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

I wonder how much you could have if it didnt have all of his little emblems and junk on it.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Sillius Sodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMN View Post
I wonder how much you could have if it didnt have all of his little emblems and junk on it.
$399 with 12 easy payments from In the Kitchen with David...

Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
jrben1

Default Myron Mixon Smokers

I'm going to pick up the 36 inch smoker Saturday, July 27, at the KCBS contest in Maggie Valley, NC. The 50 ft. factory trailer will be there from Waterford, CT, as a vendor. I believe Jack's Old South team is also going to compete in the contest.
The firebox runs the full length of the cooker, so it should give a long burn using the Minion method. There is plenty of room for full size aluminum foil steam table pans with room to spare for circulation. When I stuff a full sized pan into my Backwoods smoker, it seems to interfere with air circulation and causes the temp to creep up. I'll post again when I've had time to try the new smoker out.
jrben1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
jrben1

Default Myron Mixon Smokers

I've had 2 cooks on my 36 inch Myron Mixon smoker now. The first thing that impresses you the first time you see one of these is how big they are. There advertising is a little off. The external dimensions of the cooking chamber are 36 X 24 inches but the interior dimensions are 34 1/2 X 22 1/2 inches. When you open the lid just give it a little tug and the nitrogen filled shocks open the lid the rest of the way - hands off.
The firebox basket is 31 X 15 X 9 inches and would hold 50 lbs of briquettes easily. That's a good thing because this baby uses a lot of charcoal. The first cook I started with a 16.6 lb bag of charcoal and had to add additional briquettes after 3 hours. The second cook I started with a 20 lb bag plus one chimney of lit coals and had to add briquettes after 4 hours. The cooker comes up to 225 degrees 11 minutes after adding one chimney full of lighted briquettes. You can't cook all day without adding additional fuel like you can on a Backwoods smoker or a Pitmaker Vault.
jrben1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
I've had 2 cooks on my 36 inch Myron Mixon smoker now. The first thing that impresses you the first time you see one of these is how big they are. There advertising is a little off. The external dimensions of the cooking chamber are 36 X 24 inches but the interior dimensions are 34 1/2 X 22 1/2 inches. When you open the lid just give it a little tug and the nitrogen filled shocks open the lid the rest of the way - hands off.
The firebox basket is 31 X 15 X 9 inches and would hold 50 lbs of briquettes easily. That's a good thing because this baby uses a lot of charcoal. The first cook I started with a 16.6 lb bag of charcoal and had to add additional briquettes after 3 hours. The second cook I started with a 20 lb bag plus one chimney of lit coals and had to add briquettes after 4 hours. The cooker comes up to 225 degrees 11 minutes after adding one chimney full of lighted briquettes. You can't cook all day without adding additional fuel like you can on a Backwoods smoker or a Pitmaker Vault.
Aren't they meant to burn sticks though or are they advertised as a charcoal cooker? Would seem like sticks would be more cost effective on these smokers.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Aren't they meant to burn sticks though or are they advertised as a charcoal cooker? Would seem like sticks would be more cost effective on these smokers.
I would agree.. From the above post it sounds as if you would have to get Royal Oak to drop ship to your home.

When dealing with that much briquettes how does it fare with ash build up?
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I saw them in Maggie Valley and thought the leveling system on each wheel was cool
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Yeah, it's definitely a charcoal cooker. Did you ever see Myron cooking on one in the first couple of seasons of Pitmasters? He used about a quart of lighter fluid on a mountain of charcoal to get it started?!? LOL!!! I'm sure it's a good cooker but I think I'll stick with my good ole stick burning offset!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Myron has stated repeatedly on BBQ Pitmasters that he starts the smoker with a load of charcoal to get a good bed of coals then uses only peach wood after that.