Green Egg prices

six501

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a medium BGE with the side tables, plate setter and a brand new firebox for $400. It is a bit of a drive but I have always wanted one to compliment my WSCG. What do you guys think of this deal? Should I jump on it?

I see the Large ones in my area on CL for $600 some times with similar stuff. Never owned one so can't say if it's a good deal but it seems like it is. I guess it depends on how are the drive is, you time is valuable too.

I had a medium years ago and found it too small to be able to do much food. Given the equipment you already have, in what way are you looking to compliment your Summit?

I had a medium years ago and found it too small to be able to do much food. Given the equipment you already have, in what way are you looking to compliment your Summit?

I really just like having new things and having 2 komados seems like a good idea to me

I really just like having new things and having 2 komados seems like a good idea to me

If you're looking for something new, look into getting a 22" WSM. Add a Gateway Hanging Kit and hang some chicken in it. It's a game changer! :decision:

My first Kamado was a medium big green egg. I thought it was too small, so I sold it and bought a kamado joe classic.
I love my KJ but really miss the medium egg. It was a sweet spot in size, got up to temp super fast and cooked all the food you would need for 4 or 5 people. Sometimes I feel like its a waste firing up the joe for a few pieces of chicken.

That being said, I pretty much stole my medium egg for $200. I got lucky, but I really think the sweet spot for these is around $300. People are super proud of these things and I personally don't think they are worth what most people are asking. Especially considering you can't transfer the warranty.

I would throw $300 out there and let him know you will be driving a ways and maybe he will show mercy.

I have a large BGE about 10 years old, everything is in good condition, may need new gaskets. I plan on asking $500 for it with a rib rack and BBQ guru after my new smoker arrives, heck I might ever throw in a bag of lump. A new fire box doesn't add to the value of a used unit but a broken or missing fire box will surely reduce the value. Like the others said, offer $300 and see what he says.

I have a large BGE about 10 years old, everything is in good condition, may need new gaskets. I plan on asking $500 for it with a rib rack and BBQ guru after my new smoker arrives, heck I might ever throw in a bag of lump. A new fire box doesn't add to the value of a used unit but a broken or missing fire box will surely reduce the value. Like the others said, offer $300 and see what he says.

Passed on $300 - said there was other interest.

Really I'm just trying to determine if $400 is worth it. Its about 90 miles from me. $300 was a no brainer which they said no to.

Compare pricing with a new purchase from a dealer, because you will get the warranty, which is somewhat valuable. I've had Eggs for 15 years and cracked two fireboxes and one base, all of which were replaced.

Ditto

Check around and see if there are any eggfests around you. You might find a good deal on one that comes with warranty. A cracked base will put you over the cost of a new one with warranty. I've bought two used BGE larges in the past. One was $200 and the other was $300. It's a risk buying used. My one large with a warranty has had the dome, firebox, and grate replaced under warranty.

Check around and see if there are any eggfests around you. You might find a good deal on one that comes with warranty. A cracked base will put you over the cost of a new one with warranty. I've bought two used BGE larges in the past. One was $200 and the other was $300. It's a risk buying used. My one large with a warranty has had the dome, firebox, and grate replaced under warranty.

I'm going to do this. I am in no rush.

I'm going to do this. I am in no rush.

You'll be glad you did. For a couple hundred bucks more you'll have a lifetime warranty on ceramics. It's not if the egg will crack but when the egg will crack. The warranty is everything.

I sold a large not long ago with a table for $400. Deals are out there just be patient.

I have owned several eggs and currently own an XL. My last was a large and I upgraded because I wanted to cook indirect. The medium egg I believe is their least popular. I base that because I make egg replacement handles. 90% large and most of the rest XL. Once a year I get a request for a Medium. Hold off for a large and you will be happy you did.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
You'll be glad you did. For a couple hundred bucks more you'll have a lifetime warranty on ceramics. It's not if the egg will crack but when the egg will crack. The warranty is everything.

I've had several eggs that I take to very high temps and have never had a crack on anything except the fire ring inside. Are you in really cold climate?

Back