Carbon Steel Pans - Break 'em in on the grill?

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just got two carbon steel pans, pretty stoke to get to using them. They're BEEFY!!!

Alright, so here's my question. Any reason why I shouldn't do the seasoning on the kettle instead of in the oven and/or on the (glass top) stove? I'd rather not smoke out the house...

Thinking of using my vortex, should burn off anything I don't want on there, and will let me season it like most folks recommend seasoning carbon steel woks.

Seems reasonable to me - just don't put your temps higher than they recommend for oven seasoning.

Seems reasonable to me - just don't put your temps higher than they recommend for oven seasoning.

From what I've read about seasoning a carbon steel wok, and how they're used in commercial settings, I shouldn't be too worried about over-heating it...but I could be wrong, it's happened at least once before.

I would not use the vortex. Too hot. Also on using them on the grill, you want to make sure you get good even heat, or they could warp.

When I got my carbon steel Paella pans, I read you should simmer some water in there and then hand dry it. Oil, then cook. When you're done wash with warm water, hand dry and coat with oil again. It's been almost a year since I've used my large one...still no rust.

I do all my cast iron on the Weber. I’m expecting carbon steel for Christmas and I’ll be doing the same. I say go for it.

I’ve seasoned two heavy duty CS paella pans and a large wok in my kettle. Much better outside than in the oven due to the smoke and smell of the oil coating. If you get the kettle too hot it will just burn off the oil. I would think he vortex will over concentrate the heat in one spot.

Worked pretty well. Here's what I did::

Got the DIY vortex going. While it was warming up I scrubbed the pan in the sink. I'm not sure how much of the protective coating I got off....it's clear, and tough. But what I didn't scrub off, burned off.

Dried off the pan, put it right over top of the vortex. As it got hot the color changed, and when the bottom got blue I poured some grapeseed oil in it and used paper towels/tongs to spread it out. I did that a few times. Then I put the lid on the kettle and adjusted the vents to put the temp around 400ish and left the pan in there upside down while the wife and I tended to the baby girl.

Here's where things went a bit off. Once the little one was in bed I grilled some burgers. The temp in the kettle had dropped as I'd about burned up all my coals. So I had to add more coal, and then I tried cooking some smashburgers before everything was back up to temp. Two of the patties I started on the cast iron griddle and finished in the pan, one I cooked entirely in the pan. They weren't hot enough. The patties (grassfed beef, so pretty dang lean) stuck just a little bit in the new pan.

After dinner I scrubbed the pan a bit to remove the burger residue, then put it in the oven at 400*F for half an hour, and wiped it down with a thin coat of oil, back in the oven for half an hour, another thin coat of oil (including the handle and underside of the pan), then into the oven at 500*F for half an hour.

When working with it on the kettle, I shouldn't have poured the oil in the pan, that's too much oil and it was a little thick and sticky in a few places. On the next pan (I have a smaller one too) I'm going to oil the paper towel and then wipe the pan down, like I did later using the oven on this first pan.

Anyhow. The final result is pretty good I think, nice dark finish, feels really slick to the touch, but, the real test is of course using it. Gonna cook on it some tonight and will report back.

PICS.

JvRdLzih.jpg

wDgqdV7h.jpg

nyqnl0Ph.jpg

p6g6q0vh.jpg

F0mACBxh.jpg

AND THE FINAL RESULT ::

f5mbQCqh.jpg

EDIT to add :: this is the 11-3/4" pan. It fits in the kettle with the lid on, but juuuuuust barely, the end of the handle actually scrubs the underside of the lid. If I planned to use it on the kettle much I'd probably trim the handle about half an inch shorter.

Well done.

Don't worry about an upper temp. You should see how carbon steel woks get fired! A vortex has got nothing on super BTU wok burners. You gotta make sure all the oil is burned off competely and the wok is tempered through to that lovely blue shimmer all over.

Cheers!

Just use it for everything and cook with fat, it'll build up over time.

That looks like the Matfer Bourgeat pan I have; it's a great value. Just wish the handle was a little shorter.

Just use it for everything and cook with fat, it'll build up over time.

That looks like the Matfer Bourgeat pan I have; it's a great value. Just wish the handle was a little shorter.

Yeah it is a Matfer Bourgeat. It's easy to make the handle shorter if you want, just cut it down!

If you turn your pan upside down, after oiling it, it will keep the oil from pooling, and give you a more even seasoning.

Back