Smoking or grilling sausage?

Riversmokerising

Reaction score
I threw some brats on the Spicewine while coooking some butts and they were not very appetising. I've always grilled on the Weber. Just pink and the case was soft. Need hotter temps perhaps or longer cooking or just put on grill?

I’ve always 2 zoned them. Get some smoke on them and grill to get the casing crisp.

I threw some brats on the Spicewine while coooking some butts and they were not very appetising. I've always grilled on the Weber. Just pink and the case was soft. Need hotter temps perhaps or longer cooking or just put on grill?

I have only had sausage from a Kamado Grill (2 zone cooked) or from a gas grill at high tempt. The skin needs to be browned at fairly high temperature or it is going to be like chicken skin that is smoked at low temperature.

Good luck

Hmmm...I smoke brats. Around 250 for maybe 90 min. That’s my favorite way to cook them.

I am also a 2-zoner. Start indirect and get them all cooked through, and then through them on direct to get the crisp casing/char (if desired).

I make all my sausage with natural casings and I like either high eat indirect like 400-450 or low direct heat. They are good at smoking temps 225-275 but just dont have that crispy char that I like on them.

I make my own sausages, usually 10 to 20 lbs at a time and I'll smoke them before they go into the freezer, then will grill them when I serve them, so basically 2 zoned, like Bigfish8 and SideSt3p mentioned.
Without the high heat, the casing doesn't get crisp and you don't get the snap.

Maybe try searing them on a hot grill after smoking to crisp the skin.

Agree with grilling off to finish as that crisps the skin up. Even if I cook them in beer and onions for a while, I finish over direct to get rid of some of the fat and crisp the skin.

Lately I have been cooking them indirectly at a high heat using the vortex. I much prefer the texture from cooking at higher temps. Low and slow smoked sausage usually has an unpleasant texture to me, like not enough fat was rendered out.

Like chicken, low slow until done and crisped in a fryer or on a hot grill.

I've become a fan of a sear and then smoke for sausages.

The reverse sear might be good for steaks and roasts but not for sausages (at least in my experience). If the sausages are already at temp, they tend to bust at the sear stage and lose all the tasty juices.

I like to sear and get some char on them at first. They won't bust because they are still relatively cool on the inside. Then, I'll bring them up slowly to temp and get some smoke on them.

And be careful not to break the skin - you want it juicy!

Absolutely! I don't want an overly dry sausage. It does look kind of cool though to see a 'geyser' of hot fat/oil squirting out at a ~45-degree angle though!

I've become a fan of a sear and then smoke for sausages.

I like to sear and get some char on them at first. They won't bust because they are still relatively cool on the inside. Then, I'll bring them up slowly to temp and get some smoke on them.

I haven't really thought about doing it like that but, I think I will next time I have some time to mess with good sausages.

Smoke then sear, tribe aproves, snappy skin

Back