What do I do now? (messed up)

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last night at 7:30 I put two 8# butts on the WSM, along with 16# of Kingsford.
I set the vents where I normally do and didn't open the lid until this morning at 7:30.

The I.T. was 172 and the dome temp was 125. The fire is all but ashes.

Now...I assume the meat got to proper IT based on 16# of charcoal being consumed. I *think* that's safe to say.

But...the food was sitting there for who knows how long below safe temperature.

I've foiled them both and put them in the oven. I figure I at least need to get them hot enough to burn off any germmies that are present (?)

The meat does seem kinda tough, but it is very juicy. I tried some and it tastes great.

Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I figure I at least need to get them hot enough to burn off any germmies that are present
Unfortunately that isn't how that works. You need to heat meat to a certain temperature to kill bacteria that are common to the meat. You need to observe safe food handling practices (such as keeping above or below X degrees) to keep food safe from bacteria you introduce to the meat. Staph for example is something your grubby paws puts on the food, it produces a heat stable toxin. All the reheating in the world wont safe you from getting sick from it.

The middle of the meat may have been 172, what was the surface and for how long?

Sounds like they didn't finish if pulling was your goal. I'd foil and put in a 250° or 300° oven until it passes the traditional tests and then proceed as planned.

Sounds like they didn't finish if pulling was your goal. I'd foil and put in a 250° or 300° oven until it passes the traditional tests and then proceed as planned.
Cool. That's where they're at right now.
Do I still put them in the cooler after it passes the bone test?

Does the bone pull now? I think it reached your desired temp and is on the way down.
I think that's what happened too. Sixteen pounds of Kingsford didn't just "go away", so I do think they where "done" at some point during the night.
I tried to pull the bone, and it had some resistance. But I think that's because it had cooled down and "re-congealed"??

Last night at 7:30 I put two 8# butts on the WSM, along with 16# of Kingsford.
I set the vents where I normally do and didn't open the lid until this morning at 7:30.

The I.T. was 172 and the dome temp was 125. The fire is all but ashes.

Now...I assume the meat got to proper IT based on 16# of charcoal being consumed. I *think* that's safe to say.

But...the food was sitting there for who knows how long below safe temperature.

I've foiled them both and put them in the oven. I figure I at least need to get them hot enough to burn off any germmies that are present (?)

The meat does seem kinda tough, but it is very juicy. I tried some and it tastes great.

Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

If the meat had an IT of 172' you were fine.
You shouldn't have put in the oven.

I'm guessing Mr. Wind came and messed with your smoker. :mryuck:

I don't have a clue what when on with the temps. Probably could have been several scenarios. While the WSM/UDS/ETC. usually don't need fancy electronic termos and fan controllers, there is always that 1 in 10 times that something doesn't go right and they sure come in handy. A Maverick with an alarm would have been handy.

Agree with others, never got to done. A bone wiggle won't tighten up that much, especially when not refrigerated. Finish in the cooker or oven, it's fine.

is that a typical cook method with a WSM to just add 16# of coals and it is suppose to get to done temp? just curious don't have a WSM but the meat will tell you if its done bone should wiggle free

If the dome temp was still 125, I'm thinking it was much less than 4 hours below 140 and you should be fine. Since you've sampled it, you'll know soon enough though...

I agree with guerry. If it had been on it's way down, it wasn't at that temp long.

is that a typical cook method with a WSM to just add 16# of coals and it is suppose to get to done temp? just curious don't have a WSM but the meat will tell you if its done bone should wiggle free
Yip. That method has worked well for me in the past. But I'm usually monitoring things all along the way, and there's no mystery. 16# of charcoal will give me 12 hours, but I may have had the bottom vents open too much and made it too hot. Maybe I should hone my skills more before I do another overnight smoke.

I ended up foiling them in the oven at 315 for about 90 minutes. THe bones pulled out very easily. The family nibbled at them as I pulled the meat. It's about about 4 hours since, and nobody of pooping/puking. :wink:

By the way. Two 8# butts yeilded exactly 8# of ziplock bagged meat.
I've been wondering how much edible meat comes from a butt.
Looks like 50% is bone and fat.

Thanks all VERY MUCH for the advise! :clap:

Back