• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Well the food was great but have no idea what caused the mini explosion, I may give the Camp Chief people a call tomorrow, and see if they can tell me why it would do that.
Dave

Hank Sauce is great! I was just looking at his rub too as he posted it on Instagram. He's gotten into stores up here in northern NJ now too. I'm a huge fan of the Camoflauge Sauce.
I have to give him credit, he has this stuff everywhere. I have seen it out in produce stands on roads nobody has heard of. My wife is friends with him hence how I got the rub!

Two Camp Chefs that went bang? Whoo. You definitely get your bang for your buck when you get a Camp Chef!
If you google it, most all these grills do this at one time or another. Chances are if you own one, the lid will blow off a time or two!

New to the pellet scene, I just bought a Yoder YS640. I have only done 3 cooks with three different brands of pellets so far. So far so good as they say.
love the yoder! If I would have known about it, I would have bought it. I am planning on getting one this summer.

Just got my GMG Daniel Boone last week and LOVE IT! I am all in with the pellet poopers. Did some steaks last night and they were:
1) easy as can be to add some smoke, then sear
2) delightfully delicious
Can't wait to take on a longer cook!

Just got my GMG Daniel Boone last week and LOVE IT! I am all in with the pellet poopers. Did some steaks last night and they were:
1) easy as can be to add some smoke, then sear
2) delightfully delicious
Can't wait to take on a longer cook!
Boston Butt 11 hours and turned out perfect. The Pellet does long cooks as good short cooks!

Attachments

• 35A4EA70-BF30-4029-BF7B-8C6B8F0E2C62.jpg
    35A4EA70-BF30-4029-BF7B-8C6B8F0E2C62.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,261
Last edited:
I chose a Mak 1-star. It does exactly what I wanted: I can program it to hit different temp's at different times, including internal meat temp using the probe, and it then smokes all night while I'm sleeping!

I have to give him credit, he has this stuff everywhere. I have seen it out in produce stands on roads nobody has heard of. My wife is friends with him hence how I got the rub!

Yes he is. I'm in Cape May quite a bit as my parents live in Villas. There is a Hank's set up everywhere we go and we always see the stickers. He's created a nice brand and a cool logo.

Anyone ever have this happen. I had the smoker set up with 3 pork steaks, two sweet potatoes, and a small pot of baked beans. I had it set on low smoke, then turned it up 250, went it to wait for it to come up to temp, all of a sudden there was a loud bang, and my wife who was at the door saw the lid fly open and then saw it slam shut. I checked it out and it seamed ok, so I continued to cook even up the temp to 350. Anyway what in the heck could have cause it to do that?
Dave

If your fire goes out the auger will keep adding pellets, if you just re-start the hot rod it will start smoldering at the bottom of a pile of pellets, when it decides to flame it will ignite with a bang. If I know the fire went out on my Traeger I always open it up down to the fire pot and pull the pellet overflow out before restarting.

Strange how those pellets can explode like that! I wonder if it creates a gas like a wood gassifier when the pellets smolder and when flame hits it flashes?

Yes he is. I'm in Cape May quite a bit as my parents live in Villas. There is a Hank's set up everywhere we go and we always see the stickers. He's created a nice brand and a cool logo.
I was going to write he is going to be national someday, but I looked at the map on the website and he is in California already. LOL. I hope to see some BBQ sauces someday. It is funny, everywhere you go, there is Hanks sauce. I mean it is in every Pizza place and every restaurant. Not to mention you can buy it in any store, market or road side produce stand up the coast. Dude is a hustler!

I have been looking at the Pit Boss Austin XL. Anyone here have one or know anything about it?

Will be interesting to see where this pellet cooker thread goes! Personally, I have owned and cooked on a good number of cookers (gas, charcoal, wood and pellet), some being pretty nice. Out of all of them, my MAK has been my overall favorite :)

I have been looking at the Pit Boss Austin XL. Anyone here have one or know anything about it?
I can tell you one thing, I looked it up and watched a quick video on you tube and I can tell by looking at the slider to make that a direct cooking grill that it is made by Louisiana grills. I really like that feature allot and it is identical to the same one on the Louisiana grills. The Austin XL has quite a few nice features I like. One I mentioned, also like the pellet dump which is on my Camp Chef, not to mention it has allot room. Mine is a bit smaller where I can get 3 racks on my Camp Chef, but that is about max. I have done two racks and a Boston butt and again I was pretty well maxed. That room will come in handy. The only other thing you really want to find out is if it has any big temp swings. Better grade pellets can help with that, but I am guessing that grill is made by Louisiana grills and they are a pretty good grill. I think you will be pretty happy with that grill.

I am certainly no expert on pellet grills, but some things I have learned since I bought mine is, you want all the room you can get for your dollar. Stainless steel firebox, a quick pellet dump and the option for easy direct and indirect cooking and the Pit Boss Austin XL seems to have all that and some.

It is going to be interesting in the next few years at how these grills evolve. They are light years better than even a year ago. These new options are probably going to put the gas grill industry out of business in the next 5 years. I myself have not touched my gas grill in months.

Pit Boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1lVwcDSTbI

The BOOM is caused by the un burnt gasses igniting.
When on the low, or smoke setting, the pellets are smoldering. Turning up the temp, causes the auger to feed more pellets on to already smoldering pellets, creating un burnt gasses. When the pellets finally ignite, the gasses also ignite, causing a explosion.

This is more likely to happen on start up if you leave the lid closed. I always open to lid during start up.

Had a yoder 640 for a year and liked it. Now have a Memphis Elite and like it. Owned and cooked on stick burners, high end gassers, kamados, and gravity feed...I am a pellet convert these days!

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold
Primo Oval XL - sold
Stumps Gravity Feed - sold
Pitts & Spitts Stickburner - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is going to be interesting in the next few years at how these grills evolve. They are light years better than even a year ago. These new options are probably going to put the gas grill industry out of business in the next 5 years. I myself have not touched my gas grill in months.

Pit Boss

I 100% agree with this. I believe this will be the future eventually. The main thing I like about pellet cookers is consistency in the outcome. Recipes I feel depend on that.

I can tell you one thing, I looked it up and watched a quick video on you tube and I can tell by looking at the slider to make that a direct cooking grill that it is made by Louisiana grills. I really like that feature allot and it is identical to the same one on the Louisiana grills. The Austin XL has quite a few nice features I like. One I mentioned, also like the pellet dump which is on my Camp Chef, not to mention it has allot room. Mine is a bit smaller where I can get 3 racks on my Camp Chef, but that is about max. I have done two racks and a Boston butt and again I was pretty well maxed. That room will come in handy. The only other thing you really want to find out is if it has any big temp swings. Better grade pellets can help with that, but I am guessing that grill is made by Louisiana grills and they are a pretty good grill. I think you will be pretty happy with that grill.

Pit Boss

Yes This is a product affiliated with Louisiana Grills. The user manual has Louisiana Grill on it, along with Pit Boss.

Had a yoder 640 for a year and liked it. Now have a Memphis Elite and like it. Owned and cooked on stick burners, high end gassers, kamados, and gravity feed...I am a pellet convert these days!

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold
Primo Oval XL - sold
Stumps Gravity Feed - sold
Pitts & Spitts Stickburner - sold

what made you go with the Memphis elite? I like to duel feed in the Memphis so you can do two flavors at once. I would think it be hard to walk away from the Yoder!

It will certainly be interesting to see. I don't think it will put the gasser industry out (especially if HD keeps selling $150-$200 options), but I think it will definitely take a bit of market share for those willing to spend $500 on a grill. You also have to remember, not everybody wants to smoke everything like we do. I, personally, still use my Weber a ton. Also, reliability is still very much up in the air on a lot of these new pellets. A Weber will last you 20+ years if cared for properly. If my GMG lasts me half that I'll be shocked.

However, I could be very much wrong. If Traeger or one of the others can create a brand like Yeti or UA, anything can take off.

It will certainly be interesting to see. I don't think it will put the gasser industry out (especially if HD keeps selling $150-$200 options), but I think it will definitely take a bit of market share for those willing to spend $500 on a grill. You also have to remember, not everybody wants to smoke everything like we do. I, personally, still use my Weber a ton. Also, reliability is still very much up in the air on a lot of these new pellets. A Weber will last you 20+ years if cared for properly. If my GMG lasts me half that I'll be shocked.

However, I could be very much wrong. If Traeger or one of the others can create a brand like Yeti or UA, anything can take off.
I am still waiting to see a pellet grill bearing the name WEBER! Unless I have missed it, but what is holding Weber back from making a pellet grill?

Back