MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
wdetrick
Found some matches.

Arrow Smoker Modification/ Building Question

Hey everyone,

This is my first post so please bear with me if I do not explain myself as well… I inherited my brother in law’s New Braunfels Offset Vertical Smoker recently and I am throwing around the idea of completely remaking/ recycling it to make a bigger unit because I don't want to throw it out. (I have been eyeing some of the bigger Lone Star Grillz offset verticals but do not have the money to throw into one right now.) A metal worker friend of mine suggested that I cut the box down the middle and weld an “extension” piece onto it to meet what the dimensions I’d like. Do you think this idea would work or should I start saving my pennies? I don’t mind the work if I can make something that fits my needs.

Appreciate the input!

Last edited by wdetrick; 02-25-2019 at 06:04 PM..
wdetrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome aboard! I don't know your answer but help should be here soon.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
tom b

some light reading here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42718

Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

It’d work if you don’t go too big. Add 6-8” to the firebox too.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default IMnotalwaysHO

Dont redo it. Start practicing your skills with an offset, if you don't have one now. You can always use more practice. While you improve, you can be pinching pennies and saving up for a new one.

If you have the skills, materials and time to do it, do it. I wouldn't mess with cutting it in half myself because I don't have the skills to do it and I dont want to mess up a decent cooker.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 AM   #6
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

It is doable.
But, everything has to be remade. New cooking grates (and line up the grate rack slides).
The exhaust would probably have to be doubled to allow enough/good air flow for the larger volume cabinet.
Like mentioned above, enlarge the firebox
Leg bracing, larger casters.
Change the offset deflector for the larger cabinet.

But I'm not the one to tell you to not do it. As I have either built or modified all my cookers/smokers. It makes no sense to me to have a poorly performing cooker/smoker.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #7
wdetrick
Found some matches.

Thanks everyone... I will throw around the ideas to my metal friend that said he'd help me and see what we can come up with. I have 2 main vertical offset smokers now (This Bandera and a Brinkmann Trailmaster) and LOVE getting the opportunity to fire them up. The problem is that a lot of my friends want me to throw on some meat for them when I get something going so that's why I need one a bit bigger.... Gotta love THOSE types of friends. ;-)
wdetrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Building a smoker, help wanted, MODIFICATIONS, New Braunfeld Offset Smoker.