MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
elpato1217
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Rusted smoker

Brethren,

I recently purchased an old NBBD and am in the process of restoring. I have a quarter-size rust hole in the bottom of the grill about two inches from the fire box opening. I would really prefer to NOT crop out and renew this area.

Any thoughts or ideas on a lower hassle repair?
elpato1217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
hmbrewr
Knows what a fatty is.

Put a patch over it and secure with self tapping screws.Easy peasy
hmbrewr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

DO NOT PLUG THAT HOLE IT IS MOIST LIKELY THE GREASE DRAIN> PLUGING THIS WILL RESULT IN A PIT FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put a can under it.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
DO NOT PLUG THAT HOLE IT IS MOIST LIKELY THE GREASE DRAIN> PLUGING THIS WILL RESULT IN A PIT FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put a can under it.
I was thinking this too but I'm not real familiar with NB pits. If it is a rust hole, it is likely there because that's where moisture collected. If its the size of a quarter, maybe try adapting a 6 inch X 1-1/4 pipe nipple, ball valve and catch can to collect moisture and/or drippings????

Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have never seen the drain hole close to the firebox, its usually on the other side of the smoke chamber far away as possible from the fire

should be easy to tell if its a rust hole or not
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ooooh, a drain mod thread! How very retro!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg threaduselesswithoutpics.jpg (70.3 KB, 348 views)

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
plush2426
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

If it is a hole and not a drain and you want to make it look good again without a patch, there is a product at most auto part stores called thermosteel you can patch over pretty good size holes, I have used it several times on my old smoker. It is made for repairing holes in car manifolds/exhaust and is extremely heat resistant (up to 2400 degrees). It comes with a metal mesh you can place over the hole and cover with this mixture up to 1/4" thick and it can be shaped with a grinder to make it look like a hole was never there. It has worked excellent for me in the past.

3 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
plush2426
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thermosteel.......

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
lhommedieu
On the road to being a farker

I'm glad I saw this thread. The thermosteel idea looks good but what if you've got a larger hole? I've got an old grill with a large 6" x 6" area on the bottom that's rusted out. I could poke a hole through it with my finger at this point but have held off for the sake of "one last cook" etc. This has stretched out for a couple of months and I am worried that soon I'll have coals falling out the bottom.

I like this particular grill and I think that I would like to patch it, but I am not sure what to use as a patch. Home Depot has some 12" x 12" stainless steel that's thin enough to bend; could I cut it to size and then form it to cover the bottom of my grill? The bottom has a slight curve but nothing that I couldn't fit/form with a mallet and a little time.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Is the hole in the chamber or in the firebox wall? I let old ashes sit in mine over a winter and it ate the end of the firebox. I took the firebox off, cut the spot welds on the end, got some scrap at work, and welded it back in. Really not that big a deal if you have any access to a welder and metal. Here is a picture after the repair.

markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Can you please post a picture?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
elpato1217
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks, all! I like the sound of using the Thermosteel. That's the solution I was hoping for. Thanks, plush.

The hole may have started as a drain, but has definitely grown from significant neglect. There are three drain holes at the far end of the grill that are still in good condition. I think thermosteel may be the best option for now.

elpato1217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Plug it.

Kinda looks like the inside of the Hunley. Good luck and happy cookin?

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #14
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

That hole looks like it's supposed to be there. If it is a rusted out hole why is the right side in your picture so cleanly cut?

I agree that it is a grease drain and would strongly advise only plugging it if absolutely necessary
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #15
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

On second look, it does look cut. Anyone got one? From what ive seen online, some complain that it didn't come with a drain hole. Why square?

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote