MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Default New Redhead

Picked up this complete POS today from a Thrift Shop. Missing all the wood shelves, missing gas hose and regulator, ignition wires cut, thermometer says the ambient temperature outside right now is 170 degrees (it's not). It has the flavorizer bars going both ways, Heavy as all get out. She was bought for one reason only.

Will post pics of the true reason for purchasing this disaster in a minute.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

See I told you you'd get a redhead to boot out of it.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toney Marconi View Post
Will post pics of the true reason for purchasing this disaster in a minute.

hmmmm.........

you have my attention...

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
See I told you you'd get a redhead to boot out of it.

You were correct. The lid and drip pan are the only parts I'll use. The drip pan is easily twice as thick as the newer aluminum ones and appears to be porcelain coated. The grates are in decent shape but are the porcelain coated steel where the ones I'm using now are the thick SS. I'll probably keep them as a spare. The burners are in decent shape but I doubt they will fit my current grill without a little modification. I may take them out and save them just for the hell of it.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
hmmmm.........

you have my attention!!!
Really nothing too exciting. My current gasser suffered an accident a few years ago and the lid was attached with some creative engineering. The redhead lid will replace the broken lid.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

New lid fits perfectly. A little powerwashing, a little High Heat Rustoleum and she looks pretty good. It's dark outside so pics aren't great.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Lookin good.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

I'm afraid the carcass is headed to the dump.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Nice redheads!

I have mostly blackheads.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
mbshop
Babbling Farker

is that front sheetmetal cover on the frame in good shape ? how long is it ?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
is that front sheetmetal cover on the frame in good shape ? how long is it ?
Do you mean this piece

It should be in good shape. There was very little rust, just missing pieces and filthy mostly. I'll measure and check the condition when I get home if you'd like.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
slackdogbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Hey there Toney Macaroni, just bought the very same setup this past weekend off of CL in about the same shape. I think it is the old Genisis silver b or c. These were about $500.00 new and it is a Weber so even old it is still better than many new grills you will find.

I bought mine for cooking pizza only. I use my Genisis S quite a bit and was getting smoky flavor on pizza from past cooks even though I burn it off and clean grates before every cook and in general keep it pretty clean.

Just as you did a pressure wash, a little Rustoleum and a new homemade side table and this thing will live on.
slackdogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackdogbbq View Post
Hey there Toney Macaroni, just bought the very same setup this past weekend off of CL in about the same shape. I think it is the old Genisis silver b or c. These were about $500.00 new and it is a Weber so even old it is still better than many new grills you will find.

I bought mine for cooking pizza only. I use my Genisis S quite a bit and was getting smoky flavor on pizza from past cooks even though I burn it off and clean grates before every cook and in general keep it pretty clean.

Just as you did a pressure wash, a little Rustoleum and a new homemade side table and this thing will live on.

Hmmmmm ..... Pizza Cooker huh? Did you make any mods to cook pizza? I only paid 10 bucks for it. The thrift shop wanted $20 but I convinced the guy it was worth $10 to me for the lid, but probably had 0 value to anyone else. As best as I can tell, it is (was) probably a Genesis 5000 series.

If I can think of something creative to use it for, I may save it from the landfill. But I don't need another gasser, don't have room for another gasser, and don't want to sink a lot of money in to another gasser unless I can mod it to do someting that my other gasser can't. I'm open to suggestions - practical or otherwise.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd keep the cart you can convert it to a work table or build a Poor mans Preformer as it sits it wou make a good Sereing statoin JM2C

Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
slackdogbbq
Full Fledged Farker

No mods, I do use a ceramic stone to cook the pizza on. Just crank that thing up until it pegs the t-stat and cook.
slackdogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote