Second run on new offset

U

USCGamecock

Did a butt today, used a combo of apple chunks and pecan logs. The flavor was excellent. I definitely need to add some tuning plates or something else to the smoke chamber to hold some extra heat though. Anyone got some suggestions other than tuning plates?

Here's the final product, which was dinner. The collards were from my backyard, doesn't get any better than that!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 150
Tell us something about the offset.

Well it's an old country bbq pit, pretty solid metal, everything is welded, has built in baffle between fire box and smoke box, the chimney starts halfway down the smoke box which is also good.

What seems to be happening is I feel like there aren't enough slots in the coal basket/plate in the firebox. I'm getting a lot of dust in my coals. I think I wanna try a slower burning wood than pecan next go round, so any suggestions for that would be great too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 135
Looking at the pic of the fire box I would remove the plate with the slots and replace it with 5-6 lengths of 1" steel angle iron and top it with a sheet of expanded metal. it will give you more air thus a higher heat. I use that arrangement in mine and it works well burning splits. Just make sure that you cut the AI long enough so the base of the fire sits at least 1//2 way above the intake.
DSCN0597.jpg

Tuning plate will help to equalize temps end to end. Oak makes some fine tasting "Q" IMO

That looks like the same model of Old Country Aaron Franklin uses in his videos.

Looks nice a nicely built pit.

I like the looks of that smoker even if you need to do something like firebox mod suggested by Bluedawg.

It is the same cooker that Aaron Franklin uses, didn't realize it for a couple days after I got it when I watched one of his vids. Overall I think it is a pretty good lookin cooker.

Well it's an old country bbq pit, pretty solid metal, everything is welded, has built in baffle between fire box and smoke box, the chimney starts halfway down the smoke box which is also good.

What seems to be happening is I feel like there aren't enough slots in the coal basket/plate in the firebox. I'm getting a lot of dust in my coals. I think I wanna try a slower burning wood than pecan next go round, so any suggestions for that would be great too!

Great looking offset, love the all welded construction. Master Aaron Franklin does indeed use that model smoker in all of his videos. Aaron is a master of sticking to the basics and keeping things simple. People line up at his doors hours before it opens....

Clean machine! I agree with scraping the firebox plate and using an expanded metal basket raised high enough that the air will flow under the main heat source.Will make for a cleaner hotter smaller fire to keep temp.Look for the thin blue.Gook luck,nice cooker.BTW,backyard grown greens are the bomb.I prefer mustard but collards are good too when cooked right,and those appear to be!

Does anyone have firebox mod pictures for me to get some ideas from?

Check out one of the Horizon Smoke Co.'s steel perforated diffusers. Its essentially a piece of steel that sits below the grate and has holes in it. Smaller holes near the fire and progresses to larger ones near the opposite ends. You could order one from Horizon or make one your self. Either way it should do the trick better than the tuning plates..

Best of luck and nice looking rig!

Check out one of the Horizon Smoke Co.'s steel perforated diffusers. Its essentially a piece of steel that sits below the grate and has holes in it. Smaller holes near the fire and progresses to larger ones near the opposite ends. You could order one from Horizon or make one your self. Either way it should do the trick better than the tuning plates..

Best of luck and nice looking rig!

Agree. I own a big Horizon and absolutely love my convection plate and feel it's superior to tuning plates. Well, at least on my unit as I can slide it back and forth during the cook. With the plate all the way to the right (firebox side) I can maintain even temps across. With it slid all the way to the left I can create 50-75 degree difference. Very handy when you want to slow smoke and do hot and fast at the same time.

With tuning plates, most folks bolt them down and keep them set. I think they work great if you want to lock in your pit temps indefinitely.

Good luck. I almost bought the unit have as it is solid. I'm sure you'll have many fun years of smoking ahead of you !

Wonderful meal, Gamecock! Heartwarming comfort written all over it. And nuttin' better than one's own garden produce.

Back