MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I run either pecan or oak, due to having to clean up my place after storms. Almost a constant supply of pecan, as they are what I refer to, as being self pruning.

I have several family members as well as a close friend that have an aversion to the taste of pecan nuts. They have all been eating and enjoying meats smoked by me with pecan for decades, and they are aware that pecan wood was used to produce their food.

None have ever equated their dislike of pecan nut taste, to meats smoked using pecan wood.

Your taste buds may be more sensitive, but my experience has been that the smoke from pecan does not offend those with a dislike of the taste of the pecan nuts.
homesmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #17
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpappa1 View Post
Thank you, sir, that is helpful! I actually just did some snooping and found that my favorite que joint uses oak. I have been avoiding it for years for some reason, even though it's the most abundant wood I think I can likely get my hands on here in Iowa. That cherry is what I think I really need to try. I used a hickory/mulberry blend on some poultry recently, trying to go light on the hickory. It just didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. Gotta get me some cherry and give that a whirl. Fortunately, I got some big hunks of oak sitting around waiting to be split. Looks like I got wood for the weekend!
I think you will be pleased with using oak. It can be vastly different in taste, depending on how well it is seasoned, so make sure your using well seasoned.
Good luck finding the flavor you are looking for.
homesmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #18
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I cooked almost exclusively with pecan when I lived in Louisiana. It is my favorite. I also like oak quite a bit. I have used red, white, and live oak with no problem. I use cherry of poultry when I can get it. Hickory is ok and I use mesquite in moderation mixed with oak.

Personally, I have never had good results with apple. Last year I found I guy on Craigslist who was cutting down 3 pear trees and I loaded up. They have been curing for a year and I will cook with them in the spring.

One time I got my hands on some persimmon and I recall being happy with it as well.

Avoid citrus for smoking. It is OK for grilling.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #19
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post

Avoid citrus for smoking. It is OK for grilling.
I find orange quite pleasant for smoking in the offset.

24"x48" Custom Offset, 22" Weber Kettle , Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIa...0Zcup0pvXobQlQ
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #20
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Try either sugar maple or red maple if you get a chance. Lighter smoke flavor and imparts a golden brown color to chicken.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #21
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I like apple pecan and cherry
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #22
Dixie Chicken
Got Wood.

Forest products is one of the top legal crops in my home state of Alabama. I burn a mixture of white and red oak, its suits our tastes very well. We also have large quantities of hickory available and I think the next time I buy some wood it will be added to my stockpile.
Dixie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote