Low Sodium/Low fat Q?

Jorge

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Dad had a massive coronary on Sunday/Monday (It started at 9PM on Sunday and he toughed it out until 2 PM on Monday. Stubborn SOB).

Cardiologist gave the come to Jesus speech re: exercise and diet. Any good souces for low fat/sodium Q out there. I sat there listening to the spiel and thought about the rubs and sauces I make and had to discard all of them. Man can not live without Q.

Sorry to hear that Jorge - hope everything turns out okay. You are in my prayers.

Bill has a lead on some low-sodium stuff.

Low fat - hmmm..... Typically slow and low Q is self basting via fat. So, if you
go for lower fat meats and cuts of meats, you'll need to baste to keep it tender.
Apple juice spritzed chicken and turkey come to mind right away. I think most
fish are okay.

Pork - well trimmed pork loin and ham might be about it. Not sure about beef.

Of course, the Atkins crowd here may have some other ideas for you.

hang in there.

look for Bill's link on page 4 of the sausage log thread.

Here's the link to the front page of one of my favorite low sodium sites. Guy had a heart attack at 33 or so, and set up a site for low sodium stuff.

You can now buy alot of this in your supermarket, you just gotta look around. I eat sodium free, or extremely low sodium, ketchup, bbq sauces, spices, chicken broths, tomato sauce, rice mixes, and a big one is sodium free canned veggies and beans.

there has been a ton of advancement on the local grocer level on this stuff in the past 2 years as we start to all look at eating healthy.

What I do, is go to a site like this, then try a bunch of stuff. If I like it, I seek it out at the local grocer level, or I go to the manufacturer and try and get it by the case.

Be careful Jorge on salt substitutes. The potassium they are replacing the sodium with can be worse the the NaCl its replacing. Especially for me, cuz it affects the kidneys.

Hope everything works out for your father Jorge.

http://www.healthyheartmarket.com/Merchant/Home.htm

Site has some great info on there as well.

PM me if you got questions, cuz I've done a ton of research I can shoot your way.

Good luck brother.

That's a tough weekend! I've done the ER with chest pains thing myself (what a goat-rope) and for me thankfully it was "nothing". I'll keep your Dad in my prayers.

Now, the docs do the low fat/sodium speech - and if your Dad wants to be miserable then he should follow the doc's advise. Unless he's got one of the progressive quacks that believes there's more to life than the number of days!

Now, I'm speaking as a diabetic - not a cardiac survivor - EXERCISE WILL MAKE MORE DIFFERENCE IN CHOLESTERAL, ETC. THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

I honestly mean that! I eat meat, eggs, cheese (hey, I'm diabetic and can't eat breads, cereals, rice, etc.), etc. and my blood work came back the best it's been in years: total cholesteral way down, LDL/HDL right smack where they should be, and the triglycerides made the doc grin! I also contol my blood pressure and sugar with my diet and exercise.

Buy your Dad a new pair of New Balance walking shoes and get out there with him! The year after I was diagnosed with diabetes I did a full marathon, walking, in 6:59 :D I still walk but now I powerlift with my sons (205 squat, 135 bench (wuss!), 285 deadlift), watch what I eat, and take my supplements. I'm not on any diabetic medication at this time - my morning blood checks come in at 85-110 each day :mrgreen:

Sorry, didn't mean to start a rant! But there is life after a serious diagnosis.

Encourage your Dad to deal with this aggressively! Work with the doc/nutritionist! If you live close by then you should get out with hime and exercise.

Heck, I'm 52 and am in the process of being in the best shape I've been since about 1978.

On the que side:

I wouldn't even consider giving up que! Hopefully, your Dad will learn to pick his battles - eat real healthy most meals and plan around the que! One meal with salt and a little fat won't cause him to drop over! After eating - tie up the New Balances and go for a 30 minute walk :D

Be wise in sauce and rub selections (ie. read the labels! I have become a label HAWK.)

I still walk but now I powerlift with my sons (205 squat, 135 bench (wuss!), 285 deadlift),

I have trouble lifting a 6 pack.......

Heck, I'm 52 and am in the process of being in the best shape I've been since about 1978.

I've got to force myself to do what DF has done. If I don't, you'll be sending flowers instead of Dreamland and Southern Flavor.
I'm on my feet most of the day at work, and the knees let me know when I get home. So loosing 30-40 lbs would help that, then I could probably start doing the walking like DF does.

Our prayers are with you and your family Jorge......

Best wishes to you and your dad. This may be the best thing for him. Turn his health situation around and live better and much longer. There are a lot of spices out there besides salt. I need to cut back too.

Might explain his lack of posting, lifted out

Nope! :D

I've had to limit time on-line at work (boo hiss!).

Also, some of the threads have just lost their appeal (I know: sounds like the dentist in M*A*S*H (the Painless Pole) when he said poker was "just a game").

I check and post every day!! :mrgreen:

Jorge,

Hang in there, bro. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Cue is a way of life, whether you're cueing a salmon or a fatty. I need to veer towards the leaner cuts because of my diet. I'll just let the fruit juice and mops do the job of keeping things wet. My MD let me know that basically, if I didn't loose weight now, I could expect to live no more than up to age 62-65. That's when all of my male relatives from my mother's side drop off from massive heart attacks. I seem to have those guys's stats. Back in Feb I weighed in at 302lbs. Now I'm down to 257lbs. I'm only 5'8", so my target weight is 160 to 170 - got me a long way to go! But my cholesterol is now the lowest of my brothers. It used to be the highest.

Assuming that your dad's MD is o.k. with it, the walking is a great idea, IMHO. New Balance is right! Great walking shoes. Get in there with him, whether you need it or not. Having my family in my diet with me has made the change in lifestyle not only possible, but relatively easy. I'm surpirsed of the talks that my wife and I wind up having while we walk.

If you can, give us a progress report. We're rooting for your dad!

Self-appointed conciglieri of the Brethren

I thought you said you were an astronomer?

Don't you miss Carl Sagan saying "Billions and Billions"

Nope, he said it too nasally. I can do it better. Besides, with the most recent advances in astronomy, we now know that he was a couple of billions off in his calculations.

Having my family in my diet

Silence of the lambs mod

See what you did, farker!? Now I wet my pants!

Back