Mid Atlantic BBQ Association

tmcmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just a quick question... Who (besides me) belongs to the MABA? And how has/was or is your experience with MABA been?

"Que and Cruz" in Va is sanctioned by MABA and KCBS if that helps.

I am member and also a former board member. Its a small oganization with less than 200 members.

They have the Gavinels comp coming up tomorrow, Que and Cruz and a Victory brewing events later ths summer. They also orgnize get togethers, cooking demos and events that support our troops.

In my opinion a pretty good organization that needs more help from is members. How has your experience been?

I'm a member and think it's a good local organization. I havn't had any issues or complaints with them. I like the fact that it's a local thing and the members are a pretty tight knit unit IMHO.

"Que and Cruz" in Va is sanctioned by MABA and KCBS if that helps.

I dont get the "co" sanctioning. thats still basicaly a KCBS e vent. Do they have any plans of MABA only sanctioned event

Hey all, I'm on the board, and yes we do sanction contests. The first is this weekend at Galvinells in Conowingo, MD. We also are sanctioning some backyard-style comps, such as the Victory Brewing event in Aug. The main reason for the co-sponsor at Que and Cruz, is that we sanctioned the very first Que and Cruz, and Bill Small has graciously asked us to come back each year since.

We are small organization, but we do a lot. We've sponsored a couple of events for returning service members from Iraq/Afghanistan, folks at Walter Reed AMC, and cancer survivors. We've been asked to perform demo, for local television, outdoor events, and product open houses.

MABA has a website, located at http://www.mabbqa.com/. Take a look and see the activites.

I'm a member. Not very active but I wanted to support my local organization. Bill Small (of Que & Cruz) and Dan (of 3 Eyz) have done great work in my observation. I intend to get more involved in MABA events as my time allows.

I am a member and have been for a few years. It is a great organization with a lot of good folks. From where I sit, they do quite a bit for a small-medium sized BBQ organization. The members that run things are hard working and dedicated. Just like any club, organization or group, you get out what you put in. There are folks that are active and keep things moving, and those that are just along for the ride. In my case, I am not an active member and wish I had the time to participate more. I am more or less along for the ride. I enjoy a few of the events and the networking with the other members. But, just like a hunting club where you pay your dues and show up for the first time on opening morning looking for the tree stand that someone else has built, it might not be there. In order to benefit it is a good idea to participate. Many times when an idea comes up that sounds good, then the question is raised, “who wants to take charge?”, the silence is deafening. I have seen the same response in my many years of running hunting clubs and other organizations. Just like many things in life, you get out what you put in.

Disclaimer: This is just the <2 cent opinion from a noncontributing free rider with no official ties to MABBA other than as a dues paying member. :-D

Last edited:
George, what you are observing is totally normal. I was a very active member of the Jaycees for 20+ years. The old rule of thumb is, you can expect 30% of your members to show up and work - active members. The rest are just members. Nothing wrong with that. Almost every organization experiences this.

I have belonged to MABA for a long time, longer than the KCBS. I dont really participate much more then paying my dues but I can say that for a small (but growing group) they group does alot. The organizing of charity events, cooking demos and a few comps is a testiment to the board and how they wish to grow and do even more. The other members I have had the pleasure to get to know seem nothing less than outstanding people. I dont think I can spend a few $$$ and get any more for it.

Sal

I dont get the "co" sanctioning. thats still basicaly a KCBS e vent. Do they have any plans of MABA only sanctioned event
Yes and no, KCBS is sanctioning the 4 meat event and we're sanctioning the other events (chef's choice / iron chef).

While MABA will sanction events, we're not trying to compete with KCBS in that we are not 100% contest oriented. We're moving into more educational events / public demonstrations / assisting in / helping organizing charity cooks or the recent welcome home cook for the Marines in Virginia Beach as an example.

We do have a website and a forum, and we are building it up as time allows. As in all social organizations, member help is always sought for these projects.

I am currently (I guess) part of the 70% not-as-active membership, but I would LOVE to get more involved. Maybe Dan (3 Eyz) can PM me as to what more I can do to help.

Just PM one of the current board members (Big Ugly would be a good one), and ask to be at the next board meeting. When an item needs attention, its yours if you want it.

Maba

Tim - As I posted on the MABA Forum we would greatly appriciate your active involvement and I hope to get to meet you soon at an event.

MABA is fantastic. They sanctioned the first Que and Cruz contest. Along with a Governors Letter the winner of that contest, Chix Swine and Bovine got an invite to the JACK. There are many other things that MABA does. They sanction our Anything Butt contest on Friday night. With out them, KCBS charges extra money and you have to pay for the reps to hold any contest besides the 4 meat contests.

MABA also stepped up to the plate for Operation BBQ VA beach that I organized. I asked for help and they went above and beyond. For an organization localized in the Mid Atlantic region they do a lot for BBQ.

In my opionion the $35 a year is well spent.

Wasn't the MABA involved with the KCBS banquet in Philly this year? I know when I said I thought Philly was a mistake I got jumped and was told that there was going to be great support from them. I didn't attend. How did that work out?

Wasn't the MABA involved with the KCBS banquet in Philly this year? I know when I said I thought Philly was a mistake I got jumped and was told that there was going to be great support from them. I didn't attend. How did that work out?

This year was the first KCBS banquet I attended, so I can't say how it compared to past years. But I thought the event was a success.

In terms of MABA's contributions, there were MABA people always in the lobby of the hotel welcoming people and helping them get set up. It looked to me like they did a lot.

As a Mid-Atlantic competitor, I really appreciated having the KCBS banquet here, and I got to see a whole other side of the Society I otherwise don't get to see (and I mean that in a good way!).

Erik

Back