People's Choice

ov1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
As a competitor, What would you want to cook for a People's Choice category?

Pulled Pork.
It's cheap, and since I don't vend, I always have tons left over.

Pork Butts. Meat is inexpensive to provide and fairly easy to fit in the extra few
butts on many of the cookers.

I have to say pork butts as well. I typically stay away from people's choice anymore because it interferes with the cooking of the regular 4 meats. Something like pork butts can be cooked right along with them.

Pork seems to be as easy as it gets for a crowd.

Ottie, is this for Jasper?

If I could choose whatever I want and the meat was provided, I may go with a chuck roll to set myself apart. About as easy and forgiving as a butt, but just a little different. Takes longer, but I wonder if they could be parted for better results. Then there's the cooker space question.

dmp

In St. Joe, Missouri at the Apple Bloosem Contest, we were each give a pork butt to cook for peoples choice. The pulled pork was then return to a tent where the lable was changed and place on the table for the public.
I thought that was the best way to go if you are to do a peoples choice. A lot of times peoples choice is handed out by the cook and it's typically the local person who wins.

Ray, I concur. That was a great way to do it. Pleasant Hill Mo and LaPorte IA did it the same way too - and the results were all very similar. :wink:

In St. Joe, Missouri at the Apple Bloosem Contest, we were each give a pork butt to cook for peoples choice. The pulled pork was then return to a tent where the lable was changed and place on the table for the public.
I thought that was the best way to go if you are to do a peoples choice. A lot of times peoples choice is handed out by the cook and it's typically the local person who wins.

Good point. IF the Q is handed out directly via. teams, the two factors
to winning are a) local team with b) the most Q to hand out, rather than
a true Crowd Favorite / Peoples Choice. If that's what you desire (local
team to get a trophy), there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you're
looking to get the crowd involved and able to sample some competition
BBQ, I suggest blind (as presented above) and have the team(s) cook
2 butts, giving the crown enough Q to sample 5, 6, etc. teams Q and
then vote. SweetWater (MIM/MBN) now Deep Roots here in GA has
done this for many years now and always runs out of crowd q very fast.

That is the way Memphis In May does People's Choice. It also gives control of Health Dept. standards to the competition. At MIM the temp of each butt was checked at the turn in tent then numbered and served to the public.
Thanks
Mike

The guy that won People's Choice at one event last year finished DAL in the regular contest. He did have the biggest cheering section at the awards ceremony though.

Ray that is a fantastic way of doing PC. Even the guys who dont have much help might join the fun.

Hey Ottie, if this is for the Jasper Strassenfest BBQ I would probably go with the pork schnitzel! Providing the cooks with some good German brew wouldn't be a bad idea either!

Curly
TFB

Pork seems to be as easy as it gets for a crowd.

Ottie, is this for Jasper?

It is for the Jasper contest. We will have a people's choice this year so I'm trying to figure out what to have , what other contests do, and the best way to run it. Any ideas from anybody would be a big help.

I have been at several comps where people's choice was blind judging. My question is, should the pork be prepared bland or competition? It seems like the blander tasting pork wins people's choice. Is it best not to sauce for people's choice?

Thanks

Back