MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Respectufully, flavor! Hardwood under two years old adds more flavor.
Well, yeah I add chunks in with my lump. But the lump I buy is 100% natural wood that's been carbonized. Hell, most of the charcoal looks like logs.

Oh, and my question is meant as an honest question - not a smartass remark. (not that I think BBS's reply was smartass - just looking for more info) I really don't understand the difference between the sticks and all natural lump other then one has been carbonized and the other hasn't - yet.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #17
JimDandysNYDan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Well, yeah I add chunks in with my lump. But the lump I buy is 100% natural wood that's been carbonized. Hell, most of the charcoal looks like logs.

Oh, and my question is meant as an honest question - not a smartass remark. (not that I think BBS's reply was smartass - just looking for more info) I really don't understand the difference between the sticks and all natural lump other then one has been carbonized and the other hasn't - yet.
I might be wrong, but this is my guess or my reasoning behind it....by adding sticks that have yet to be carbonized is where you get a different flavor than what you will get from wood that is already carbonized like in lump. So there is a difference. But by adding sticks that aren't pre-heated can give you some nasty smoke that you don't want as mentioned before.
JimDandysNYDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
I keep reading that "stuck burners rule" and how all wood smokers/cookers are the best. So my question is how? What is the major difference to the end product that an all wood smoker produces that the smoker that uses charcoal with the ability to add wood chunks?
Pit Magic comes from the Pit Master...not the pit! IMHO...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
Donovan
Found some matches.

Hey Mark! the peruvians heat their stones before they cook, so increasing the temperature of the wood before ignition should help too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachamanca

-D

Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #20
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post

Bobby,

The best way I can describe it, is for you to use straight mesquite in a cooker and lump mesquite in a different cooker. Do you think the meat will taste exactly the same?

I use mesquite lump often and will not use straight mesquite as I do not enjoy the flavor.

BBS

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #21
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Technically speaking; there are numerous volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in wood. Sometimes these are called aromatic hydrocarbons. Some of these are desirable in flavoring meat and some arent'. Others are downright nasty!

The undesirable one tend to overshadow the desirable ones during incomplete combustion instances. That is why we aim for the thin sweet blue. I suppose that is also why some people pre heat their wood but unless it's wet and you're trying to dry it out, I don't see a significant difference.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I've eaten Q from a lot of restaurants that cook on all wood smokers and have eaten Q from friends of mine with all wood smokers. Though their Q is good it's not this "WOW!!!" huge difference of flavor and taste than what comes out of mine, which is a charcoal burning (add wood chunks) smoker.

So that is the reason I asked the question.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I think all smokers worked properly produce a good smoked product.
As you can see, I have just a few options here when I want BBQ.
I really do think I get a little more smoke on my food when I use sticks ONLY.
But, when I am LAZY Barstard, i crank up a BGE, or a Traeger. I do like the ease of them.
Oh, I almost forgot.
STICK BURNERS RULE!!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

The diifference?

Just the amount of work required.

TIM

Old 08-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #25
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default Just my Opinion.....;}-

I do sticks, and I pre-heat the wood before introduction to the FB. I feel that it catches quicker, it usually is burning well when I start to close to door. The bad stuff is caused by incomplete ingition of the wood, by pre-heating ,it gets a head start and the rapid combustion eliminates the Gray smoke. Mine is always Thin and Blue.i.e.

see the wisp of TBS?

this is how my fire box looks...
when the smoke starts to get heavier, adjust the air or add a small split.I double split my sticks so they catch quicker after heating,almost instant.
Like I said,just my opinion,but try it yourself,seeing is beliving...

STICKBURNERS RULE!!!
bbqfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #26
pdxRandy
Got Wood.

I worked in a plywood mill in Springfield Oregon years ago. When we had hog fuel that was to wet for our boilers or just crummy fuel we off loaded it to the Kingsford plant across town.

IMHO it is hard to hide "junk" in a stick of wood and who knows what is in that little black pill. I think lump would be much cleaner with no filler of unknow origin. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #27
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I think it is funny when you read about people saying they can tell the difference whether the food was cooked over charcoal, lump, or sticks -

Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #28
jestridge

I use all wood all the time , that because it free, I also enjoying burning wood at night and keep the fire going. I usually preheat the wood it will bring up heat faster, and cut down on white smoke.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote