MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

fish Tacos rule.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
salth2o
On the road to being a farker

Default Freshly caught Flounder tacos

This was tonights table fare..

1. soaking in some Louisiana hot sauce
2. batter, batter, what the matter....
3. fried to a golden crisp
4&5. plated on our finest china :) with some black bean salsa The Redhead made up

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkGreen] <*{{{{{><[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Lyfe Tyme 20 offset smoker
Kenmore Gasser
Single Burner Gas Cooker
Plow Disc Cooker

Last edited by salth2o; 01-23-2011 at 10:55 PM..
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #18
Jax191

I love fish tacos myself.

We have a local joint that makes them with Seared tuna. Let me tell ya, the whitefish tacos are awesome, but tuna takes it over the edge.

Fish Tacos- blackened yellowfin tuna with choice of soft or crunchy tacos
filled with cheese, sour cream, shredded cabbage, and pico de gallo. Served with
beans and rice - 8.95
http://www.mossfire.com/dinner.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I like the fish either smoked or grilled and the taco topped with chipotle slaw.
I totally stole your recipe the other day. (used tilapia instead of cod though) Delicious. :)

Old 07-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #19
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax191 View Post
I love fish tacos myself.

We have a local joint that makes them with Seared tuna. Let me tell ya, the whitefish tacos are awesome, but tuna takes it over the edge.

Fish Tacos- blackened yellowfin tuna with choice of soft or crunchy tacos
filled with cheese, sour cream, shredded cabbage, and pico de gallo. Served with
beans and rice - 8.95
http://www.mossfire.com/dinner.pdf

I totally stole your recipe the other day. (used tilapia instead of cod though) Delicious. :)

Hey Jax191, I'm glad you liked it!
I'm guessing you saw it on my blog?
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Salth2o, that looks awesome!
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
This was tonights table fare..

1. soaking in some Louisiana hot sauce
2. batter, batter, what the matter....
3. fried to a golden crisp
4&5. plated on our finest china :) with some black bean salsa The Redhead made up
Holy fishness! I'm frying some fish tacos up when the family returns! Just pulled some frozen cod out of the freezer. How long did you soak in hot sauce (trappeys?)?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
BIGWILLY
Full Fledged Farker

bump

UDS
Stainless Gasser
Disco (plow disc, ranchera disc, discada)
Char-Broil "Patio Caddie" (Gas)
Cook n' Kettle Cast Iron Grilling Kettle

Last edited by BIGWILLY; 07-23-2008 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: sp
BIGWILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #23
salth2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Holy fishness! I'm frying some fish tacos up when the family returns! Just pulled some frozen cod out of the freezer. How long did you soak in hot sauce (trappeys?)?
The Redhead (my wife) does not like fishy tasting fish. I rub down all my fillets and let them sit for about 10 minutes or so. Then I slice them and put them in corn meal. I use "Louisiana" brand sauce. http://www.louisianapepper.com/index.html It's not as vinegary as some others. If you want to try it and cannot get it where you are, I will send you a bottle.

shoot me a PM.

salt

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkGreen] <*{{{{{><[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Lyfe Tyme 20 offset smoker
Kenmore Gasser
Single Burner Gas Cooker
Plow Disc Cooker
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #24
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
The Redhead (my wife) does not like fishy tasting fish. I rub down all my fillets and let them sit for about 10 minutes or so. Then I slice them and put them in corn meal. I use "Louisiana" brand sauce. http://www.louisianapepper.com/index.html It's not as vinegary as some others. If you want to try it and cannot get it where you are, I will send you a bottle.

shoot me a PM.

salt
Thank you sir! Not sure I've seen that stuff since my college days in New Orleans. It was the sauce of choice in our dining hall and excellent on fried oyster po boys.

Ever try them on slightly charred corn tortillas? Seems like an amazing combo.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #25
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

There's a place I go whenever I'm in Cali - it's in San Pedro and it's called Baja Fish. They make some great seafood. I think it's becasue they can get it so fresh in Cali.

But, I'm torn between battered and fried or grilled......
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #26
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
No feathers, don't know anything.
"Chicken Of The Sea" mod....

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #27
Jax191

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Hey Jax191, I'm glad you liked it!
I'm guessing you saw it on my blog?
Somebody referenced chipotle slaw on this forum and I googled it. Found your site. :)

Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
smokinvic
is one Smokin' Farker

My dad was born and raised in Ensenada, which is about a 1-1/2 hours drive south of Sand Diego, into Baja California North. I grew up going back and forth to Ensenada for a good part of my childhood, into my teen years. In Ensenada, they have a very many taco stands. Beef, pork (al pasto/adobada), and fish. The fish tacos I grew up with are pretty much like a beer battered fish. I found that they tend to use Maco Shark.

The batter is like this flour with mustard with salt, pepper, oregano, and a few other spices mixture. They fry the fish in one of those "discos" until its nice and crispy. Then place in a tortilla and put some Pico de Gallo on it, and then, the kicker is this sauce they use. I have been trying to figure out this sauce since I can remember. It is some sort of like sour cream type sauce, with maybe a little bit of mayo. I just can't figure it out, but the sauce makes these tacos for me.

Needless to say, I LOVE these fish tacos. They also make shrimp tacos using the same batter. My mom use to make those here at home (she still does, I'm just not living at home anymore!). We just never got that cream/sauce down. She has since passed on the batter recipe to me. I have it written down on some scrap of paper at home somewhere and will make some of those tacos every now and then. We have used other types of fish, but I beleive the Maco Shark to be the best type of fillet for the fish tacos.

There are a couple of places near me that make fish tacos that are similar to the Ensenada Fish Tacos. Many places CLAIM to make them "Ensenada Style". I go in, check them out, and come out dissappointed most of the time. One place near me, in Anaheim Hills called Señor Baja makes the closest thing to those fish tacos I have had. They even come extremely close with the magic sauce.
I also remember the clam cocktails... mmmmmm. The dude (at a different stand) would shuck the live clams right there in front of you, in his little wood cart, place in a plastic cup with some clam juice, ketchup, lemon juice, and some vegetables, some chopped chile if you like. DAMNIT I have to go back to Ensenada. It has been so long. Thanks for bringing those memories back!

"I am the Lizard King.... I can do anything."

"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars... out here we is stoned.... immaculate" - An American Poet
smokinvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #29
Pete
Got Wood.

I like 'em. I used to prefer the fish fried and I used Ranch dressing as the sauce. But one time I smoked some tuna for fish tacos and it was killer, so now I make them with smoked tuna or smoked salmon. Kinda like smoked fish from Tampa meets fish taco from San Diego, a long distance match made in heaven.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #30
smokinvic
is one Smokin' Farker

I just found a web page with my Favorite Fish Taco stand from Ensenada!!!!! WHAT A TRIP!!!

http://www.ensenada.com/floresta/index.html

I forgot one of the best parts.... THEY MAKE THEIR OWN TORTILLAS RIGHT THERE!!!

"I am the Lizard King.... I can do anything."

"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars... out here we is stoned.... immaculate" - An American Poet
smokinvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, salsa, sauce, tacos, tortillas