Big Beautiful Bandera Butts

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I bought a case of pork butt from Sam's today for $1.97/lb; down from $2.06/lb which is a little bit of a relief--see case prices photo below at the end. I gave up and bought a case because Walmart was selling Tyson for $2.38 /lb and my local grocer didn't want to budge from $2.99/lb for butt... so I said screw that and bought the case.

These two butts in the Bandera are 9 and 11 (might be 12!) pounds--almost ready for wrapping:

2a616o9.jpg

Wrapped them about 30 minutes ago (ran out of foil so used butcher paper) :

(This is the first time I've used butcher paper. Just bought a 765 foot 30" wide roll from Amazon.)

2vwi5bp.jpg

This is my biggest Bandera cook so far :) Maintaining a fire this long is a lot of work! Well I'm new to stick burning so.. it'll get easier later I guess.

Today's Sam's Club Case Pricing:
e7fdsi.png

Last edited:
By the way, I bought the $19.99 manual slider log splitter from harbor freight this evening after giving up on the hatchet and mallet. It works very well and it makes it easy and safe.

I sit the split between two cinder blocks, line it up and just throw the slider down. With a few hits it is split all the way down. I was really struggling with the hatchet and wood -- has horrid actually.

521eg0.jpg

While I was at harbor freight I also grabbed the $8 magnetic shelf, so I could sit my maverick 732 up high on the side of the Bandera's CC and run the 3 foot probe leads down through the chimney.

While I'm waiting for these butts to finish, I just opened up my Amazon package that contained a book that was recommended here: "The Legends of Texas Barbecue". It's a used copy I got for $4 + $4 shipping ($8 total). I'm excited, it's in excellent condition and the book looks good and feels great in my hands :) Gonna start flipping through the pages now! yay!

Any particular recipes you guys like in this book?

(This is the first time I've used butcher paper. Just bought a 765 foot 30" wide roll from Amazon.)

Please can you give the like to me?
By the way your butts look great! I wait for final product.

I'm tired! (wasn't expecting 11 hours for a hot & fast cook--20 lbs of meat at around 280F average).

This is the largest serving platter I have in my house--for a large turkey; this pork butt was huge!--only pulled one of the two for this photo. (EDIT: Oh, I forgot to sauce it.. )

(Sorry for the bad lighting.. tired.)

j997pu.jpg

2qunj4h.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if I could stand another 12 hour offset cook.. maybe if I started early in the morning instead of afternoon.

While I'm waiting for these butts to finish, I just opened up my Amazon package that contained a book that was recommended here: "The Legends of Texas Barbecue".
Any particular recipes you guys like in this book?

That's such a great book. I actually got it more for the stories and history in it. Can't say I've actually used any recipe in it. But it's such a good read....I've read that book probably 10 times.....

Back