Smoking Cheese

bbqbull

Watching over us.
Reaction score
Hi fello farkers here. Lookin for some basic cheese smoking advice. I wanna smoke some storebough cheese. Can anyone tell me what the min/max temps and times are... Cheese is pretty costly, especially the smoked type. Heck I bet someone here does it all the time.
Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike--

I've done it by sticking a hotplate in the firebox and putting a foil pack w/ wood on the burner-- you can also use a cast iron pan. I try to keep the temp below 90 if possible, and will crack the hood w/ a tiny twig if need be. I've done cold-smoked tomatos, garlic, cheese, and plenty o' other stuff that way.

Hello Mike,
I have tried my hand at this and have the flavor down but I can't seem to get that nicd color. As backyard chef stated Low temp is key. 80--90 is ideal and keeping such a small fire going with low heat is something that need some practice. The wood in foil works great on top of 4 or 5 pieces of charcoal .I found it best to smoke cheese after a long nite burn. As I clean out the pit I pull the small hot coals aside and use them.

Low temperature is exactly right. No more than 90*. I used to do a lot with my Little Chief electric.

My PB has a defination for "smoked cheese" but I don't think it's the same one your talking about...

I did some in my BSKD using 4-5 briquettes with small wood chunks. Like others said, keep the temp low. I put my cheese on a piece of foil so it wouldn't end up in the water pan. And I found it didn't take very long to pick a lot of smoke flavor. I think I read here or some where to go about 45 min, so me thinking more is always better went like an hour and half and it was almost too strong. I used hickory chunks.

I think the flavor mellows, or smooths or something if you let it sit in the fridge overnight and then slice it up, but that could just be me....

I always use the coals when they are reall low after I have smoked meats. If I have to, I open the smoke chamber a little to get the heat down and I just put a small peice of wood on the embers for smoke. Those coals will last long enough to smoker your cheese. Keep it low at no more than 100 degrees. I put the cheese on a small peice of aluminum foil. Only takes about an hours. Keep you eye on it. When it starts to get a slick shine to it (fats coming out) it's done.
Ah, cuttin' the cheese after it's smoked.
Smoke On!!!!!!
ed

cheese3.jpg

Smoking cheese is easy. You need a really small fire and a mild wood like alder or apple. As always, let your smoke settle down before putting the cheese in or you will get a bitter result. I use a low heat <100° measured at the grate. Using some sort of heat deflector is needed. A good set up is a deep pan with ice cold water on the main grate and the cheese an extra grate set on the pan. This will allow you to change out water and add more wood if needed. You actually want to take advantage of the heat sink ability of cold water to keep your temp low. Keep the cheese in large pieces. The cheese will need some additional support as it will begin to sink into the grate once it is warmed. You can use foil squares, a pizza screen or some expando if you have that. Oil the grate & foil to prevent sticking. You do not have to turn the cheese. Start with about an hour or hour and a half of smoke to get a baseline for flavor. If the cooker gets too hot, remove the cheese, and shut down the vents. Return it once everything has settled down. When your time is up let it cool about 10 minutes and it will be easy slicing.

Any firm cheese is a good choice. The softest I will do is meunster (left in the picture). As you can see it is slightly deformed from the heat, and the others are not. I really like cheddar and pepper jack also. Try several to see what you like best, as different types take smoke differently. Unless your smoke is too heavy, you will not get a really dark color to the cheese, only smoke flavor. Notice that the only darker areas are around some of the edges.

Back