MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : WvQ
Default Going to try a Tri-Tip for the first time.

I've never tried one before, but will give it a try tomorrow. I'm figuring on just using salt and pepper and possibly inject it with beef broth. Anyone else have any advice?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
supertramp
On the road to being a farker

4-5 cloves garlic minced
3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp chopped freah thyme
Zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp freshly ground pepper
(You might need to double this, depends on size of tri tip)

Brush tri-tip with evoo, coat with herb rub

Cook over direct heat and sear, move to indirect heat and cook to temp, I go medium rare
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

No need to brine or inject, just do your favorite beef rub and smoke to 133 IT and then do a quick sear on both sides over some hot coals. This will be a beautiful medium to medium rare.

The most important thing is to cut it against the grain, look up good directions on doing it...trust me.

Follow these instructions and you'll have a perfect tri tip.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

In California we do it Santa Maria style. You can use Suzy q prepared rub or just simply season the tri tip as you would a steak. Generous sea salt or kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, granulated garlic and some dry parsley. Let it sit on the counter while you get the fire ready for a reverse sear. Indirect cooking until 120 than on direct until its nice and seared. Temp should be around 135 or so for a nice medium as the temp will rise a little bit when rested. Slice against the grain and serve.

I will actually be doing tri tip tomorrow.

Good eatings

Vince

Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Heres how I do them.

1. Prepared meat first with a little fresh ground sea salt, then fresh ground pepper, then some whiskey steak seasoning and finally some rosemary flakes. I wrap in stretch wrap and let this rest in the fridge overnight.
2. I mound the lump in the front of the kamado and you can see that the meat was in the back for indirect cooking.
3. I do it 20 minutes (40 total) per side. (I probably didn’t need to flip it)
4. The internal temperature is the important part and 40 minutes (give or take a few) on my setup gives me an IT of 115. Your setup may yield a different time so just monitor the IT and you’re good. You could also smoke it longer at a lower temp or shorter at a higher temp so long as you achieve 115 IT.
5. Remove and tent with foil.
6. Now open up your vents to get your kamado / grill to around 550 to 600 degrees. Once it's there sear the Tri Tip for approx 5 minutes per side and you'll be at a IT of approx. 130 to 135 which is IMHO the perfect temp for Tri-Tip. It doesn't do well if cooked past medium and is better as medium rare.

Hope this helps.

Here's a link of one of my cooks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=Tri+Tip

Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
socalnewb
Knows what a fatty is.

I am a little diffrent when it comes to tri-tip been doing this a while and here's my wet recipe

1. 2- 1/4cup vegtable oil
2. 2- 1/4cup water
3. 1- 1/4cup vinegar
4. 1- 1/4cup montreal steak seasoning from mccormicks

I put in ziplock back and mix i put tri-tip in overnight
next day I reseason with salt and pepper lightly put on my WSM and get it to 130 and foil for 20 minutes has never failed me the best tri-tip I have ever had and I have had many!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 09-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice thread!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

My Santa Maria rub just consists of equal portions of kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Cooked my first one Thursday night (actually cooked two). I seasoned one with fresh ground S&P and the other with a Santa Maria rub. I put the rub on that morning and placed them back in the fridge. Took them out and placed on the counter 1 hour before going on the BGE. I cooked them at 275 on my adjustable rig (with heat diverter) and removed when they hit 110* and foiled. Brought the egg up to 700* and seared a couple minutes on each side and they were pretty awesome. Four guys ate 5.5lbs of tri-tip and none left. I will definitely do this again.

I had to order mine from a local butcher and it was 8.99 a lb. I need to find another source.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds9547 View Post
Cooked my first one Thursday night (actually cooked two). I seasoned one with fresh ground S&P and the other with a Santa Maria rub. I put the rub on that morning and placed them back in the fridge. Took them out and placed on the counter 1 hour before going on the BGE. I cooked them at 275 on my adjustable rig (with heat diverter) and removed when they hit 110* and foiled. Brought the egg up to 700* and seared a couple minutes on each side and they were pretty awesome. Four guys ate 5.5lbs of tri-tip and none left. I will definitely do this again.

I had to order mine from a local butcher and it was 8.99 a lb. I need to find another source.
Here at my local butcher, I've seen them on sale three different occasions over the past 4 or 5 months for $3.99/lb.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Keep it simple with tri tip! I would second the call to use Montreal steak seasoning also...

Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQDaddio View Post
In California we do it Santa Maria style. You can use Suzy q prepared rub or just simply season the tri tip as you would a steak. Generous sea salt or kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, granulated garlic and some dry parsley. Let it sit on the counter while you get the fire ready for a reverse sear. Indirect cooking until 120 than on direct until its nice and seared. Temp should be around 135 or so for a nice medium as the temp will rise a little bit when rested. Slice against the grain and serve.

+1. Tri-tip is fantastic.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
Stark-O-Rama
On the road to being a farker

I consider myself to be a bit of a tri-tip master

3 really important things....

1. Rub (don't inject, don't marinade)- keep it simple. The beefy flavor of tri-tip can stand alone. Salt (be generous), Pepper, Garlic, Onion. Parsley flakes optional.

2. DON'T OVERCOOK IT!!! Most people say pull at 130-135, I say NO!! Pull at 125, and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. You are guaranteed tender steak this way. At 130-135, it may end up rising to 140, 145, and unless it's a really high quality piece, you've lost the magic of this cut.

3. Slice ACROSS THE GRAIN!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've had tri-tip sliced with the grain - CRUCIAL MISTAKE. For the most tender perfect slices, slice across the grain. The grain changes directions in the middle. If you think of the shape like a boomerang, you can cut pretty much down the center of it, then rotate each piece length wise.
[/B]Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner
[url]www.starkboards.com[/url]
Stark-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the help everyone, it turned out great. I pulled it at 135 and it was perfect in middle. Everyone loved it. I'll definitely do it again.