Pork Shoulder Picnic

N

NU2QN

Last weekend I cooked up a Butt roast which turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I promised my son i would do some spare ribs and another butt roast for his birthday this weekend. My problem is i cant find any good butt roasts in town as we only have two grocery stores (4-5 lb best). One of stores had cryopacked picnic shoulders, 2 per pack, 14-15 lbs. ea.. Do I cook them the same as I did the butt roasts last weekend? Any suggestions on trimming and cooking?

I am planning on cooking 225-250, fat cap up for 2-4 hours, flip and continue to IT of 165, foil and continue to IT of 195-205. Does this sound reasonable?

Any advice is appreciated.

Last weekend I cooked up a Butt roast which turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I promised my son i would do some spare ribs and another butt roast for his birthday this weekend. My problem is i cant find any good butt roasts in town as we only have two grocery stores (4-5 lb best). One of stores had cryopacked picnic shoulders, 2 per pack, 14-15 lbs. ea.. Do I cook them the same as I did the butt roasts last weekend? Any suggestions on trimming and cooking?

I am planning on cooking 225-250, fat cap up for 2-4 hours, flip and continue to IT of 165, foil and continue to IT of 195-205. Does this sound reasonable?

Sounds like a 2 pack of butts? Not picnics.

It is actually a 2 pk of picnics. The butt portion has been trimmed away. They are labled picnics

A butt is simply the shoulder side of a picnic.

I usually remove the skin but leave 1/4 of fat. The smoke will not penetrate the meat through the skin very well.

They have more connective tissue than the butts. On my whole shoulders, i normally take the skin off. Some people like the skin on to hold moisture, but i consider it a barrier to smoke and seasoning.

I defat them a little rub and cook at same temps and same method as a butt. They just seem to normally require a little bit higher finishing temp before they fall apart like a butt does.

Back