Ribs: Cadillac cut?

Grabnabber

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I saw this mentioned in the "Brownie Pan Chicken" thread and I have never heard the term.

Anybody have a pic or description?

Thanks!

Was a new term for me too.

How does Cadillac cut ribs score in comps compared to regular cuts, this might be something I should try. Also does it look good in a presentation box compared to regular?

I rarely see them come across the table when judging, but when I do the general consensus at the table is pretty favorable. Getting clean cuts and arranging them in a pleasing, appetizing manner does seem to be a challenge however.

I would rather get big meaty ribs and do a regular cut. I wanna make sure they get a bite of meat from right next to the bone. Bones = Flavor. Just my opinion.

Also known as the "Hollywood" Cut.

I originally cut my ribs this way for competition but have switched back to the normal cut.

I would rather get as many ribs as I can from the same rack. There's no way you can get 6 "cadillac" cut ribs from 1 rack, sometimes I would have to use ribs from 3 or 4 racks to get ribs that were all comparable.

I noticed my rib scores (with the standard cut) are much more consistant when pulling from 1 or 2 racks and I think they look better for presentation as well.

AH, OK. Seeing the picture, it all makes sense.

Take 3 ribs uncut, and trim off the outer bones; end up with a super meaty single rib.

Thanks everyone- this is exactly why I love this place. :thumb:

It is very useful to cut this way in IBCA, but I haven't had a need to do it in KCBS. I like to get one perfect slab cut regular for my box. This year I have 2 1sts and 3 2nds in ribs.

I have always called it hungry man's cut. Rather or not I do it depends upon how many good racks I have to choose from because it does take at least three racks most of the time for me and if I have a couple of racks not do so well, then....drop back and punt.

I guess the only negative with this cut is finding like size pieces, that's why I mentioned it always takes 2 racks and sometimes 3. Also when you present them like I did the box is sometimes difficult to close too. Our ribs are hit or miss, sometimes they're dead on and sometimes they're not. I'm considering switching to a regular cut and presenting 1 single rack in the box, after the Royal of course:becky:

I did this at the last competition I was in and scored 2nd in ribs. The ribs were pretty good too though. It was the first time I had done it. It really made cutting them simple because the bones are the guides. It did take 3 racks to get enough that looked alike for box though. :-D

Back