• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

FIRST BRINE AND iQUE 110 RUN, Grilled Peppers, Burgers and lots of Pron

D

Downtown Smokeout

I finally received my iQue Monday, but couldn't use it until yesterday. I have been reading the brining threads quite a bit lately and decided to fire up the drum and use my new toy while cooking a few whole chickens.
I apologize for the picture quality, my camera died completely, so I used the crappy work camera.

Picked these up at Schnuck's.

100_2467.jpg

Made the brine that Wampus posted with Tender Quick, brown sugar, peppercorn, lemon and lime. Also found out that my chili pot holds 4 chickens perfectly.

100_2469.jpg

6 hours in the brine, pulled them out and rinsed them off. Wasn't sure about the wisdom of brining and injecting, but I saw this the other day and wanted to try it.

100_2472.jpg

Coated them with a little paprika, because I put it on almost everything that goes in the drum.

100_2474.jpg

And on they went. This is a hard shot to get with wires coming out of the lid and only two hands.

100_2480.jpg

I saw an awesome post about gilled/sauteed pepper topped burgers a few days ago and had to try that for myself.

100_2478.jpg

Threw them on the newly acquired Smokey Joe.

100_2482.jpg

100_2484.jpg

Pattied up some burgers and found a new use for my side mount chimney starter.

100_2485.jpg

100_2487.jpg

Made some potatoes and diced onion with greek seasoning on the SJ while the burgers and peppers cooked, but forgot to get a pic. Turned out pretty good though. A little sriracha and the flavor was incredible.

100_2488.jpg

About 3.5 hours on the chickens. Love the color and they tasted great.

100_2489.jpg

I did have some temperature issues with the drum. It was my first run with the iQue, and a new diffuser plate, and I'm pretty sure my charcoal had drawn some moisture. I'm not ready to condemn it yet, just going to reset and run it with fresh charcoal, no plate and a pork butt. By far the most common cook I do on her.

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful birds!! Love the color too. :-D

Back