Why not pork stock?

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It seems recipes often call for chicken or beef stock, even fish, shrimp & lobster stock. You can find a million chicken & beef stock recipes, canned versions for sale at the market etc.

Does anyone use pork stock?

Sure - I used to use pork stock a lot. Great flavor. It has much more depth than either chicken or beef. I'm not sure why it's not as easily available in grocery stores, but gourmet stores around here sell it as pork base.

I don't use it as often now because most times my pork bone is smoked. (Let it fly!) And smoked bones make a smoke flavored stock. Still good stuff, but not always the flavor I'm looking for in stock.

I live down here in New Orleans....and learned that good stock is KING on so many of the dishes we do down here. I like to make pork stock out of the smoked bones...goes great with red beans and rice prep (really compliments a good andouille sausage in it)...and great for meaty jambalayas.

My favorite thing is to make smoked turkey stock...it is, to me, the key ingredient in Chicken and Andouille Sausage gumbo. Nothing can sub. for it....

But, a good pork stock...and I prefer smoked...is good for about anything you would use cooking water for in southern dishes...greens...black eyed peas..hoppin' john...beans of all sorts.

I don't like to waste anything foodwise...so, I cook...eat...and often make stock out of the remains...use it soon, or freeze it for later.

cayenne

Don't get me wrong Cayenne. The smoked bones make a great smoked stock and smoked stock certainly has it place. But being a NYer I don't make too many dishes that would require it. I've never made a jambalaya or a gumbo. Make paellea once in a while though. I may try it with a smoke stock next time.

You got any experience with veal stock? A chef friend of mine said that veal stock is the secret for most of the top chef recipes in the country.

If you guys don't make stock and use it, you're wasting a great opportunity to add depth and flavor to sauces, rice, beans, greens and just about anything where you'd add water.

Yes...

BrooklynQ said:
Don't get me wrong Cayenne. The smoked bones make a great smoked stock and smoked stock certainly has it place. But being a NYer I don't make too many dishes that would require it. I've never made a jambalaya or a gumbo. Make paellea once in a while though. I may try it with a smoke stock next time.

You got any experience with veal stock? A chef friend of mine said that veal stock is the secret for most of the top chef recipes in the country.

If you guys don't make stock and use it, you're wasting a great opportunity to add depth and flavor to sauces, rice, beans, greens and just about anything where you'd add water.
I agree...whenever cooking...stock is always better than water (ok,maybe not with jello)...

I've not done much with veal...just don't see it around in the stores here that often...but, I'm slightly familiar with how the big restaurants do it...they actually take it to the demi-glace stage...this involves roasting a LOT of veal bones...then days of reduction with your basic mir poir (sp?) = carrots, celery, onions...and some slight seasoning maybe of black pepper,(tomato?) etc.

This is taken down to a very thick, gelatenous, product full of concentrated flavor...

This is usually such a laborious and time consuming situation, that many chefs go the store bought route these days...rather than dedicate so much kitchen and staff to keep in being processed...

You could probably google for the whole process description....

Hmm...well, it isn't exactly BBQ related...but, if interested...I could try to get together a good jambalaya and gumbo recipe...for ya'll...
I base mine off the original Paul Prudhomme versions....

C

I agree...whenever cooking...stock is always better than water (ok,maybe not with jello)...

Vodka on the other hand....

Sounds good to me.

When you die, you will go to Spare Rib Heaven where there are shops dedicated to providing you with Pork Chop Pies, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the stores never close. The smell of carnitas permeates your nostrils and the water tastes like Spam. And the women smell like bacon.

At the restaurant we used to use pork stock for the green beans, pintos, etc.

I've found ham base but not pork -- probably just need to look around more.

Samichlaus said:
When you die, you will go to Spare Rib Heaven where there are shops dedicated to providing you with Pork Chop Pies, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the stores never close. The smell of carnitas permeates your nostrils and the water tastes like Spam. And the women smell like bacon.

Sounds great except for the spam flavored water.

Hell has the spam flavored water, so knowing this bunch when we die sounds like "we'll be drinkin' that damn spam flavored water." I think I can pick out a song to go with that.

parrothead said:
Samichlaus said:

Sounds great except for the spam flavored water.

Spam flavored water is better than COORS beer for one!

Spam flavored water is better than COORS beer for one!

That isn't saying much. Everything is better than coors beer. Except of course for spam.

Ham bones or smoked pork bones are never just thrown out at my house. I pressure cook them for a couple of hours as the base for beans. At that point the bones can be thrown out, made into bone meal or fed to the dog. However, NEVER feed bones to a dog otherwise. (ain't that right Bill?)

Back