Mayonaise

From a older lady Home economics teacher is there is enough acidity that you should not have to worry about it setting out. For the long haul (overnight) she puts it in the frig. As for the health inspector they have to error on the side of caution or the whining sue everybody for their own stupidity BSers will get you! I would love to open a restaurant but the mind f--K you have to put up with is beyond my ability so far Hats of to you Joe.

I got in this discussion somtime last year and received lot's of feedback
to the negative.

I keep my mayo refrigerated but I use it cooking.

I challenge you guys to try this...
Take a couple of Johnsonville Brats and smear mayo all over one of them.
Put them in the smoker / cooker and cook as usual.
You won't believe the difference and the juicy taste of the mayo covered
brat. It will amaze you.

I have also used mayo when smoking single turkey breasts and they come
out very moist.

I have done this for years and I never got sick from it.

This is just my 2 cents..... Not intended to start a disagreement.

I used to grill chicken, putting Mayo on at the end. Been a long time since I did that and had forgotten until Fatdad's post. Don't put it on early, wait till the chicken's about done. It burns easily when you grill. Good stuff.

I've seen folks using mayo on grilled fish fillets to keep them from sticking to the grill.
My Mom also makes a wonderful salmon by mixing tons of dill into mayonaise and smearing like a good inch of it on top of the fillet before baking. Comes out wonderful!
But once again, It seems pretty difficult to get pasturized mayo to grow anything.

Works great smeared on hot corn on the cob in place of butter. Then sprinkle on some cajun seasoning.

thillin said:
Works great smeared on hot corn on the cob in place of butter. Then sprinkle on some cajun seasoning.

This must be a regional thing:shock:

Trying to put this back on track...............
Mayo shouldn't present any bacterial problems or spoiling while being used for cooking.
Recipes and the likes really should be in Q-talk. (Guilty as well)

Sorry, I left out the fact I was turned onto the corn thing by street vendors in Mexico. Mayo was on the cart next to the seasonings. Don't remember it being kept cool. Never got sick, I might just been lucky then(20 yrs ago).

i dont think anything in the border towns in mexico are refrigerated. We use miracle whip at the house. i like it better than real mayonaise. Can it be left out as well? i dont recall ever looking to see if it has a refrigerate after opening label on it. We keep it in the fridge but just curious.

FatDaddy said:
We use miracle whip at the house. i like it better than real mayonaise. Can it be left out as well? i dont recall ever looking to see if it has a refrigerate after opening label on it. We keep it in the fridge but just curious.

Not on the label but, it does say "Refrigerate after opening." On the lid.

the "refrigerate after opening" is to preserve the appearance and flavor...Miracle Whip is like "processed cheese food product" - you could smear it on a bridge railing and it'll still be edible three days later.

chad said:
the "refrigerate after opening" is to preserve the appearance and flavor...Miracle Whip is like "processed cheese food product" - you could smear it on a bridge railing and it'll still be edible three days later.
That's a pretty loose use of the term "edible" :icon_bigsmil

chad said:

I may have to try that to ensure that you are right.

Back