MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How long do you cold smoke your bacon?

Just trying to get a general idea of how long I should smoke my bacon. I will prolly have to break it up into two days so im thinking two 5 hr smokes 10hrs total. What are your opinions on this? Also ill be using a mix of hickory and oak

Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
c farmer
Babbling Farker

When I cold smoked I did 12 hours straight with hickory.

Plenty smoky for me.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I go 8+ hours here

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cold smoke with no heat at all for 2 hours, then set the pit temperature to 145° for 3 hours and then ramped up to the 175°-195° range until an internal temp of 140° is achieved. Bringing to the finishing temperature allows it to firm up and slice easier when fully cooled.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Well I have always hot smoked in the past. The other week I decided to try cold smoking. I ran it about 6 hours. In my humble opinion, it tasted no different then hot smoking and that is quicker and easier--fwiw
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
How long do you cold smoke your bacon?
It depends on the wood I'm using. When using alder and fruit woods I smoke longer. Any heavy woods, I smoke for a shorter period.

It's a matter of taste, everyone is different. I start checking the bacon after 6 hours no matter what wood I'm burning. Slice and fry a piece...keeping in mind it will be stronger after wrapping and resting.

Some times 6 hours is enough of a cold smoke (under 85F) for me, other times it takes 17+ hours.

Good luck with yours!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
JazzCat
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

..to an internal temp of 140ºF in the smoker no higher than 150ºF...
plenty of apple & hickory

5 lbs have good as short as 7 hours...
and as long as 13 hours....
JazzCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #8
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

The best result I've had was from 2 x 12 hour smoking sessions, spaced 12 hours apart. Basically just let it go through the night, refrigerate until night time and then start it up again, then rest for a couple of days (uncovered)

I used 2:1 hickory to oak dust

Old 12-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnQ View Post
Just trying to get a general idea of how long I should smoke my bacon. I will prolly have to break it up into two days so im thinking two 5 hr smokes 10hrs total. What are your opinions on this? Also ill be using a mix of hickory and oak
I smoke mine at 200 to 225 degrees and to an internal temp of 140. It takes about three hours. Meat will only collect so much smoke and the bulk of it is at the beginning of the cook and during the first two to three hours. I smoked my bacon with pecan and it turned out amazing but I think that oak and hickory will be really good too, I would imagine that the oak would mellow out the hickory a little. Have fun!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Meat will only collect so much smoke and the bulk of it is at the beginning of the cook
Not with cold smoking it won't, as you're not cooking the meat

Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I go 8 hours at 85 degrees. Blend of maple, cherry, and hickory pellets in an A-Maze-N tray.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
I smoke mine at 200 to 225 degrees and to an internal temp of 140. It takes about three hours. Meat will only collect so much smoke and the bulk of it is at the beginning of the cook and during the first two to three hours. I smoked my bacon with pecan and it turned out amazing but I think that oak and hickory will be really good too, I would imagine that the oak would mellow out the hickory a little. Have fun!!!
All though I didn't use the same curing recipe as is on this site I did use the same basic smoking method. The thing I like about the site is that it goes into the science of what meat does when introduced to different temps, moisture levels and so on. This guy calls himself "Meathead" and has done controlled experiments on all kinds of meats, with several different types of cookers and has collected quite a bit of information to reference to. Here's the link to the bacon page! http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...m_scratch.html

Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
Not with cold smoking it won't, as you're not cooking the meat
Oops,... you are correct! For some reason my brain didn't process the "cold" part in the original post! LOL!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the input and advice everyone! Seems like its mostly about personal preference. I think I will do a 5hr smoke than do a test fry and go from there intill I find what works for me.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm sure one person on here said they like 50-60 hours of cold smoke on their bacon, I'd be very interested to try it but my bacon already takes 2 weeks to make