MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Any of the Simply Marvelous Rubs are REALLY good in popcorn too.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
runnoft
Full Fledged Farker

N8 Here is all you need to know. At the upper end grocery stores they sell coconut oil. It is what popcorn was popped in at the theaters years ago. It is a hard white solid at room temp and it will not caramelize like olive oil when heated. Put about 80% of the coconut oil you need for popping in the pan and the other 20% make up with bacon drippings. It won't taste like bacon and the coconut oil is very taste neutral. Pop and drizzle melted real butter and sprinkle salt on it and the party is over.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
N8man
Babbling Farker

from the karo syrup website, one of my favorites..

Classic Caramel Corn
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 quarts
Mazola Pure® Cooking Spray
4 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter OR margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
Spray a large shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add popcorn and place in preheated 250°F oven while preparing caramel.
Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
Boil 5 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla.
Pour syrup mixture over warm popcorn, stirring to coat evenly.
Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and spread on foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Cool; break apart. Store in tightly covered container

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Bacon Salt
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
drjiveturkey
On the road to being a farker

Salt and sugar. Kettle corn!
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
gators120779
Knows what a fatty is.

thanks, im cooking popcorn now
gators120779 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Well I use a Whirley popcorn maker on and electric burner. It is an aluminum pot with a top flip up lid. It also has a wooden crank that you turn and it has a small wire inside the pot.
I use peanut oil and white kernel popcorn.
I then add a bit of salt and some melted butter to the mix and eat.
Seems that left over buttered popcorn tastes much better then next day.
No special additions for us. I always considered a slight dusting of cayanne pepper but have not tried it.
This was the firehouse recipe that we used forever at work as well as what my kids loved at home........Simple but danged good my kids told me.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post
N8 Here is all you need to know. At the upper end grocery stores they sell coconut oil. It is what popcorn was popped in at the theaters years ago. It is a hard white solid at room temp and it will not caramelize like olive oil when heated. Put about 80% of the coconut oil you need for popping in the pan and the other 20% make up with bacon drippings. It won't taste like bacon and the coconut oil is very taste neutral. Pop and drizzle melted real butter and sprinkle salt on it and the party is over.
runnoft, OO doesn't caramelize when heated?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
Tried some Yardbird the other night. Not bad, but I didn't like the sweet. I am old school. I like real butter and salt, that's all. Now I gotta make some, it's like a Jedi Mind Trick! Fark!
Funny Stuff!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
bwsawman

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
from the karo syrup website, one of my favorites..

Classic Caramel Corn
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 quarts
Mazola Pure® Cooking Spray
4 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter OR margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
Spray a large shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add popcorn and place in preheated 250°F oven while preparing caramel.
Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
Boil 5 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla.
Pour syrup mixture over warm popcorn, stirring to coat evenly.
Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and spread on foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Cool; break apart. Store in tightly covered container
N8man, this is almost the same recipe I use. Just one MAJOR change and everyone says it is the BEST caramel corn ever. Use HONEY instead of the Karo corn syrup and use real butter.
bwsawman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #26
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Well I use a Whirley popcorn maker on and electric burner. It is an aluminum pot with a top flip up lid. It also has a wooden crank that you turn and it has a small wire inside the pot.
I use peanut oil and white kernel popcorn.
I then add a bit of salt and some melted butter to the mix and eat.
Seems that left over buttered popcorn tastes much better then next day.
No special additions for us. I always considered a slight dusting of cayanne pepper but have not tried it.
This was the firehouse recipe that we used forever at work as well as what my kids loved at home........Simple but danged good my kids told me.
Have the same. Love it.

I use whatever cooking oils around and usually straight up Orville popcorn. Butter and salt. Great every time.

Love bbq rub on popcorn but never sticks well. Any tips beyond dousing w butter? I'm sure someone will say mustard.

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #27
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Good thread! I love popcorn.I have never made it from scratch. I love movie theater buttered popcorn. I have to believe that popcorn popped in bacon grease is awesome, even if it can kill me.

I'm not much into sweet popcorn. Small amounts are okay.

I need to follow this thread. Thanks N8.

CD
Popcorn cooked in bacon fat in a cast iron skillet on a kettle earned me a zero. The joke was on everyone that didn't vote for me, it was awesome.

I like Mills Magic Dust, Yardbird or Ted & Barney's on popcorn. My wife loves SM Sweet Seduction or SM Cherry. Otherwise we just do plain butter and salt. Always popped in Extra Virgin Coconut oil or bacon fat.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I'm lazy and use a

popper. I also use coconut oil from Snappy popcorn. You can mail order it http://www.snappypopcorn.com/productcart/pc/1-Jar-Snappy-Colored-Coconut-Oil-4p72.htm . They also have some great http://www.snappypopcorn.com/productcart/pc/8-5-oz-Shakers-c98.htm. I like the Jalapeno the best.

Edit: I don't know what happened. I cannot get the hyper-links to work for the Snappy products. You will have to copy and past the links if you want to check them out. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Last edited by BobBrisket; 07-24-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #29
Jayblefty

Pop it stovetop with some oil then sprinkle heavily with Tabasco (original) and a pinch of kosher salt. Makes it even better that the wife and kids won't steal it from me!
Jayblefty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #30
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayblefty View Post
Pop it stovetop with some oil then sprinkle heavily with Tabasco (original) and a pinch of kosher salt. Makes it even better that the wife and kids won't steal it from me!
LOL! That one only works on my wife...........not my kids. They like the heat! They will have a drink in hand as they eat it, but they can't stop!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote