MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Ufo8mycow
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pulled pork timing question

I am having a get together tomorrow and I am not sure what time to throw the butts on the uds. People will start showing up around 1:00 and it will be an eat what you want when you want kinda thing so if it isn't done until 2:00 it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I know they take anywhere from 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound at 225* but at 9-1/2 pounds each that could be a difference of almost 5 hours. Should I put them on at around 6:00 and just wrap them when they are finished? that just seams really early.

Also What temp do most people use for pulled pork. Is 225 good or should I bump it up to around 250?
Ufo8mycow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

If cooking at 225 figure at least 2 hr per pound or longer if you are not foiling during the cook. A 9.5 lb butt could easily take 22+ hours at 225 deg. You can bump the temp to 250-275 and cut that time down to 1 hr, 1.5 hr or so per pound but be careful if you have a high sugar content in your rub as it may burn at the higher temps. I would also try to allow for at least 1-2 hours of rest, wrapped in a cooler before pulling and serving.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

Cook your pork butt at 250-275. it will get done much quicker and you will still have a quality product.

If people start showing up around 1, I would aim for my service to be about 2pm. Cooking between 250-275 a 10lb pork butt will take approx 10-12 hours, if not a little longer. I would throw the pork butt on the UDS about 10-11pm so it finishes between 9-11am.

Take if off the smoker when it is done and let it vent for a little, then wrap tight in foil and put it in a cooler or an oven that is turned off for a couple hours to rest. The pork butt should be done before anybody shows up and all you have to do when your most of your guest arrive is take it out of the foil, pull it and then add the fat that is in the foil into the pulled pork.

All my large cookouts (memorial day/labor day) I do 40-50lbs of pork butts and a brisket or two. I tell my friends that you can come over about 3pm and I'll serve the bbq when a majority of the people have arrived. My meats are typically done no later than 12:00pm that way they have ample time to rest and everything is ready to go before my guests arrive. I have yet to miss a deadline and the bbq always turns out great and my friends all rave about it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Pork butt/shoulder is a very forgiving meat.

Time/temp will vary greatly...
If you are cooking at 225 - factor nearly 18 hours (give or take)
Cooking hot and fast over 300 - will be around 7-8 hours roughly.
Myself:- 275 will be around 12 -13 hours later... add a few hours resting end up seeing an 18 hour window.

Your mileage may vary...

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

I try to only cook 10lbs butts (midwest easy to find). 12 hours at 235 is what I always plan. Don't forget them getting done early is OK, throw them in a cooler and let them rest for an hour or four without a problem if they come off at 9 am.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave Dweller View Post
I try to only cook 10lbs butts (midwest easy to find). 12 hours at 235 is what I always plan. Don't forget them getting done early is OK, throw them in a cooler and let them rest for an hour or four without a problem if they come off at 9 am.
Im a bit surprised that you can cook 10 lb butts at 235 in 12 hours? A 10 lb butt for me at 235 would take around 21 hours if i dont foil during the cook.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do my Butts at 300 on the grate cook time averages 50 min lb there is no stall just a steady rise in temp.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

They can hold wrapped in a cooler for a long time.. I would rather have my butts done early resting in a cooler mingling with friends, finishing sides, drinking beer etc, than fighting a stalled out butt wondering what time your gonna eat..

I would bump to the 250 - 275 range for sure.
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Cook hotter, start earlier. It's better to hold a butt for a few hours, and actually preferable anyway, than to be cutting it close and risk delaying dinner, pulling before it's done, or pulling the meat the second it comes off the smoker.

I'd shoot for 275-300 and then put them on 12 hours before you want to eat. They will probably be done in 10, but at least you have wiggle room, and time to let them properly rest if so.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
katman
Knows what a fatty is.

I'd put them in the night before, cook at about 250-275 and foil after they pass 165. A plan could be to put them on around 10, check them at 5 or 6 am. Put them in the cooler when they are done and leave them there until just before serving.
katman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
tzccva
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Pork butt/shoulder is a very forgiving meat.

Time/temp will vary greatly...
If you are cooking at 225 - factor nearly 18 hours (give or take)
Cooking hot and fast over 300 - will be around 7-8 hours roughly.
Myself:- 275 will be around 12 -13 hours later... add a few hours resting end up seeing an 18 hour window.

Your mileage may vary...

This is exactly how I cook mine. 250-275 12-13 hours and then double wrap in foil wrap a towel around it and put it in a cooler (FTC) and like he said about 18 Hours or so tasty meats.
tzccva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Ufo8mycow
Knows what a fatty is.

I am going to put them on at 9:00 at 250* and I guess I will be dragging my butt out of bed at 6:00 to check them. That way I can throw the moink balls on for a couple hours after I move the butts to the cooler

I really need to get used to the "it's done when its done thing"
Ufo8mycow is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->