1st BBQ with Son-In-Law "BBQ Spare Ribs 101"

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A while back, I gave my Son-In-Law a 18.5 WSM that I found at Home Depot for $40. Yesterday, we had "BBQ Spare Ribs 101". We had both smokers doing the same thing, side by side. I worked with mine. He worked with his. Whatever I did, he did by himself with his smoker. I explained what we were doing as we went along. He trimed the ribs, added rub, made the fire, set the air vents ..... everything from start to finish. This was his 1st smoke. I planted the seed. Lets see if he gets hooked.

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

Did he like his ribs? It is great you took the time to work with him.

They ate them all. He said, next is baby-backs, then pork tenderloins. I loaned him some of my BBQ books to get some ideas.

Good looking ribs!! I'd say you got him hook, line, and sinker!

A 18.5" WMS from HD for $40?!?! How'd you swing that?

Good looking ribs! that is a good way to do it side by side!

Very cool that you gave him a WSM. Even cooler that he's taking it up. I have no sons-in-law. I provided moth of my sons with mini-WSMs but I have the feeling that the only time they get used is when I'm there. And one made for my youngest by special request using a brand new C&B green Smokey Joe was apparently pitched by another resident in the condo. :mmph:

Did you make him call you "sensei"?

Good work. There's probably no better way to learn than not only to DO IT, but to have a mentor right there with you through the first time! :clap:

Damn fine outcome and very commendable mentoring.

Back