MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Gnomatic
Got Wood.

Default Whole Packer Question

On Wednesday, I swung by Restaurant Depot and picked myself up a brisket, a 15lb Superior Angus beaut! I fully intended to cook it this weekend, but I've been unexpectantly swamped with things, and came down with a pretty bad cold as well. I can't taste much in my current state, so I'd like to smoke it next weekend when I'll have more time and hopefully I'm feeling better.

My question is, is it safe to store a big hunk of beef in the fridge that long, or should I freeze it? The brisket is still in its cryovac packing and sealed. I know I've read it should be fine, but I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassurance. I'm not seeing a sell-by date on the package or sticker.
Gnomatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep it in there and age it for a bit. Should be fine.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Garrett
Babbling Farker

It will be fine. I'm sure they sell enough to keep them fresh.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

You can keep it in the fridge as long as the door doesn't get opened a whole lot. Even if it does you could put it all the way to the back, and it should be fine at only a week of aging.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I am really surprised it doesn't have a sell by date on it. I thought that was a legal requirement for Cryo'd stuff... Oh well. They are usually good for months when cryo'd. Get better!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I am really surprised it doesn't have a sell by date on it. I thought that was a legal requirement for Cryo'd stuff... Oh well. They are usually good for months when cryo'd. Get better!
^ +1 I agree, they usually have the date on the package or on the label if it is cryo'd because of the longer shelf life.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I've never had a date on any RD meat I've purchased and after getting spoiled ribs twice (they were obviously expired when opened), I'm done there.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Gnomatic
Got Wood.

So I guess I'll chance it. It'll be 10-11 days since I purchased it by the time I get around to the cook. Fingers crossed!
Gnomatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Midnight Smoke

Just do the smell test, when you open the package and everything still smells fresh your good to go.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

you should be able to hold it for at least a month, just trim the gray stuff off. As far as buying pork, I only buy ribs or butts by the case with the packing date on them from RD, I don't like anything, anywhere that sets in the display and gets handled by everyone, also I've never bought anything bad at RD.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

unless that brisket was bad when you purchased it you have nothing to worry about. the last brisket i got from RD actually sat in my garage fridge for about 10 day with no problem.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
wct
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a Choice grade Brisky in the fridge from Cash and Carry for 25 days now. Yours will be fine. I usually try and go for 20-30 days and never had a bad one yet. Nice and tender. Hope you get better soon.
Rec-Tec#1165, Traeger 075 Texan (1990's model), Weber Genesis E-330, Bradley digital 6 Shelf Smoker[/SIZE]
wct is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

As for the smell test, I think I have read on here that sometimes when you open the cryovac pack the meat will smell of sulfur. But if you rinse it it should go away. Is that correct? I have never bought cryo-ed meat but think I read that.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemezspring View Post
As for the smell test, I think I have read on here that sometimes when you open the cryovac pack the meat will smell of sulfur. But if you rinse it it should go away. Is that correct? I have never bought cryo-ed meat but think I read that.
I don't do smell test till meat has aired out a bit after opening. If I get off smell then, which is not often, I will rinse and resmell and reair a bit...if still off smell trash.

Interesting talk with butcher...The chain grocer had FRESH New Zealand boneless leg of lamb advertised. Being in atlantic Canada I questioned him about being fresh or previous frozen. He assured me of it being fresh cryro'd, showed me bb date couple weeks away and added he found bb date to be very accurate as the lamb would go off within a day or 2 of bb date.