Cast Iron Skillet vs. Weber Outdoor Gourmet System

tb80

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I was checking out Weber's Original Gourmet System. At first I was intrigued by the Wok and and Griddle. However, as I started thinking about it, I figured my cast iron skillets could essentially do the exact same thing. Can anyone tell me what makes the Original Gourmet System better than just using my cast iron skillets? I am all for buying new bbq accessories, but I need to at least be able to justify it.

edit - sorry for the typo "Outdoor" instead of "Original" in the heading.

I would go with the craycort system. If thats too $$, get either the stok or char broil cast iron grates. And you're right about using the regular cast iron on the grill.

I have no burning desire to get the the Weber system. I have plenty of cast iron to use on my grill, but no CI wok. However there are CI woks on Amazon for less. As for the grill insert, I have this instead:

DSC_5951-PP.JPG

I call that my magic grate. It was in our yard as part of a fire pit when we moved here in '87. When I got a used Silver A a couple years ago I found it fits well enough to use in that. The bars are about 3/4" top to bottom so there is a lot of mass there for great grill marks. The bars are spaced close enough so that small stuff tends not to fall through. (Who of us has not sacrificed a burger to the gods of fire on a wire grate. :wink: )

The best thing about it is the perfect fit in a 22.5 Weber kettle. There's just enough space along the side to open the hinged part of the grate. And it will hold a lot more food than the circular Weber insert.

I use the Craycort CI grate on my Weber. Works very well. I also have the Weber System and while it works OK the CI insert is only big enough for one good size steak at a time. If you have a large CI skillet it will work as well as a wok. :cool:

+1 on the Craycorts. I'm about to order some for my 22.5 kettle later this week!

Back