MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

Default A-Maze-N Smoker truly is Amazen

Well after reading a ton of reviews, If finally pulled the trigger on an A-Maze-N pellet smoke generator. Tested it on on my Masterbuilt propane smoker this weekend (I know, the shame of using propane, but I didn't feel like watchin the stick burner all day). I did a pork butt and two chickens for my future stepson's 2nd birthday, and I have to say I was extremely impressed. Once it was lit i just let it go. Perfect amount of smoke on the butt and the chicken was to die for, I plan on smokin some cheese tonight,(not sure what kind though open to suggestions). Sorry for not havin pics, definitely will have some of the cheese.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you use pellets or dust?

I used my pellet version yesterday for bacon and it worked as advertised. With the humidity down here I have to nuke the pellets for a few minutes to drive out some moisture...think of it as pre-heating the pellets!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwendholt View Post
I plan on smokin some cheese tonight,(not sure what kind though open to suggestions). Sorry for not havin pics, definitely will have some of the cheese.
I would suggest some cabot pepperjack, monterey jack and chedder. These turned out real well on the ones I have done. Careful with the smoke, you can over do it real easy.

Last edited by K80Shooter; 12-10-2012 at 11:31 AM..
K80Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Marwendholt

I used the Treager pellets, they were the only ones available locally this time of year.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

My AMNPS arrives in the mail tomorrow, I can wait! As far as cheese goes, try some gouda too, I've smoked it in the past and its awesome. I've yet to do any spicy cheese but look forward to it.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I got talked into one of these too. Hopefully, mine should arrive here from Big Poppa this week. If it does, I'll be smoking some cheese this weekend.

Question for those that have the pellet version, do you think it makes less smoke than the wood chunk on top of charcoal method? Do I need to smoke cheese longer using on of these? In searching, I saw several posts by Thirdeye who said he smoked chease for 3 to 4 hours using these because of this issue.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
funman1

There's no looking back.
They are all they are cracked up to be :)
Love mine

Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

I keep hoping I wasn't on the naughty list and Santy Claus will put one under the tree for me !! If not, I'm buying one after the season!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Marwendholt

Cheese is on, thanks to daylight savings time, all mt evening grillings and smokings are done in the dark. Anywho, I'm trying some pepperjack, cheddar, colby jack and cream cheese.

Last edited by Marwendholt; 12-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: added pics
Marwendholt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwendholt View Post
I used the Treager pellets, they were the only ones available locally this time of year.
I too use Traeger pellets as they are cheaper than A-maze-N pellets.

It does work great and I have used it for cold smoking with no heat of any type, works great here too for cold or hot smoking...

Last edited by IamMadMan; 12-10-2012 at 09:51 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
RW
Full Fledged Farker

What about the 5-0 BBQ pellets?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW View Post
What about the 5-0 BBQ pellets?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The cheapest I have seen the 5-0 pellets are about $2.60 a pound.

Traeger pellets from a local dealer or through Do It Best are only $.94 a pound with no shipping fees.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Question for those that have the pellet version, do you think it makes less smoke than the wood chunk on top of charcoal method?

Do I need to smoke cheese longer using on of these? In searching, I saw several posts by Thirdeye who said he smoked chease for 3 to 4 hours using these because of this issue.
Yes it does create slightly less smoke than chunks on charcoal, but the benefit of the unit is that you can smoke without charcoal or any other heat source. Thus the "cold smoking" of cheese and fish without monitoring temperatures.

My cheese is usually done in 2 hours adequately smoked, maybe the volume (size) of the smoker determines the extended exposure of the cheese to the smoke?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Yes it does create slightly less smoke than chunks on charcoal, but the benefit of the unit is that you can smoke without charcoal or any other heat source. Thus the "cold smoking" of cheese and fish without monitoring temperatures.

My cheese is usually done in 2 hours adequately smoked, maybe the volume (size) of the smoker determines the extended exposure of the cheese to the smoke?
Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out how long to leave the cheese in smoke. My first attempt turned out pretty good using my kettle and 1 hour and 3 day rest. What kind of smoker are you using? I'm planning on using my drum this next time with the pellet sitting on the diffuser rack this next time and the cheese about 8 " above. Vents will be wide open to start and then adjust, I guess... ?

I also wonder if the difference is that the pellets produce more clean blue smoke. From what I saw when I did the charcoal method, there was a lot of bad smoke, but maybe I wasn't doing it right. The 1 to 2 week rest periods that people recommend seems to indicate bad smoke to me. I don't know. Hopefully, I can find some vacation time to do some experimentation of my own.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm definitely going to have to get one of these.