MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pork Butt this weekend, need advice.

I am cooking up some pork butt this weekend and will be doing it different than usual so needing some advice for this specific cook.

I will cook them on the BGE overnight and finish them on the Meadow Creek TS120 which is a reverse flow offset. I am guessing the last 3 hours will be finished across the street on the TS120.

My plans are to foil and cooler them for the walk across the street where the offset will be up to temp 225, butts will probably be around 170-180.

I have a charcoal basket I can use in the offset with lump but will also have some chicken on and would like to throw in some hickory and cherry logs for flavor.

Should I leave the butts foiled to finish, or should I take them out.
Will adding wood fire to the butts at this point over smoke them or give them way too much bark.

I put a few fist size chunks of hickory and cherry in the BGE and the stoker keeps it going all night so I can get some shut eye.

I prefer to finish them at the park rather than at the house so I can do other things I need to be doing for the party.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

One thing to keep in mind is you can rest butts double wrapped in heavy foil, then put in a cooler with towels for up to 6 hours. I just did it with 2 for the longest I've ever rested - 6 hours - and it was all good. As for foiling/bark and all that, you gotta go by how it looks to you. If you feel the bark is, um, barky enough, then by all means hit it with foil, butcher paper, whatever. If you want the bark to set a little more, then leave it nekkid. I think you could finish the butt at home and while it rests do your chicken, as the resting time for a butt gives you plenty of time to do chicken.

Don't forget chicken takes smoke pretty easily, so the amount of smoke you need for the chicken will most likely not affect the pork too much - at least not for my taste.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
tbaker30
Knows what a fatty is.

On the oversmoking part, from my experience and from speaking with others I have gathered that meat only takes in smoke for a certain amount of time at the beginning of the smoking. I want to say for the first 90-120 minutes but not certain on that.
tbaker30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaker30 View Post
On the oversmoking part, from my experience and from speaking with others I have gathered that meat only takes in smoke for a certain amount of time at the beginning of the smoking. I want to say for the first 90-120 minutes but not certain on that.
That is not true...and you can tell your sources that also.

The premise of what you're talking about deals with the smoke "ring". The smoke ring actually has nothing to do with the smoke itself.

Smoke "flavor" will be added for as long as smoke is introduced to the cooking process.

You can cook a butt for 10 hours in your kitchen oven and stick it on a smokey pit for a couple of hours to finish...it'll have "some" smoke flavor from being on the pit. This is long after the 90-120 minute mark.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I would just try to finish them before you go if it is possible and yes I would just leave them in the foil if I had to move them and keep heating them.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

My problem is that I have a wedding on Saturday and will not be home until 8 PM the night before.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote