BE ADVISED: Throwdown entry in progress.

DSC_0410.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

this is not an entry.

Been off the grid for a few days and had to catch up on all the great entries. I'm trying to decide if it's worth even jumping in so I put together this recap to stew it over. Sorry if I missed any... :tsk:

Bigabyte
r_IMG_1256.jpg

scottjess
ohVEu.jpg

BBQ4FUN
IMG_0285.jpg

SirPorkaLot
P1070034.JPG

caseydog
picture.php

Redhot
TDshot2.jpg

Boshizzle
picture.php

Cack
P1065164.JPG

Pappy
IMG_3655.jpg

DaveMW
MeatballThrowdown5.jpg

Lazybones
IMG_2983.jpg

Everybody's balls look so fantastic so far that I feel my balls may be inadequate in comparison.

I predict that the balls with the creamy white stuff in side will be very popular during voting.

CD :becky:

Off to the PB

I know some people went with really big balls but my wife assured me that size doesn't matter when it comes to anything so I went with medium size balls. :shocked: :tape:

Last weekend I made a recipe that was close to what my Mom would make when I was a kid. It was a beef meatball with gravy and mashed potato. It wasn't a total disaster but it was not throwdown worthy either. The meatballs were dry, and the gravy was too salty. I decided that I would either wait to post my Zero entry or see if I had time to make up something new. My wife picked up a cookbook from The Meatball Shop and I had to try this recipe. There are probably 20 more recipes I'll want to try. It is a fun cookbook.

First I needed to make up some Thousand Island Dressing. I picked up the ingredients (also a recipe from the same cookbook).

attachment.php

Time to bake up some more bread. I like the bread recipe I found for the Zero Throwdown so I made baked another loaf.

attachment.php

Now for the balls.

I didn't have an homemade corned beef so store bought had to do. The recipe also called for ground pork, sauerkraut, eggs, swiss cheese, rye bread, salt and caraway seeds.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to get them all as close in size as I could.

attachment.php

Into the egg with olive oil over indirect heat at 450.

attachment.php

Pulled them out and plated with some Kosher Dill Pickles.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Everything was really good. My wife would not be someone to order a Reuben but she really liked the flavor. They really were like a great bite of a Reuben Sandwich. With the dressing and the pickle it was a perfect bite.

Thanks for looking.

The great thing about these meatballs is I would eat any one of these meals. Nicely done everyone.

My Almighty Meatball.

My Humble entry to the Almighty Meatball Throwdown.

I thought about making something with nachos since they're so popular right now but I know that they will be so yesterday come next week. :heh: So I stuck with my original plan and made My Almighty Meatball out of ground beef chuck 80% lean, Naturally Hickory Smoked Bacon, Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork Rub, Mini Babybel and Sliced American Cheese.

IMG_0039.jpg

First I mixed up the Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork Rub into the Ground Beef Chuck.

Then I wrapped it around a Tasty Mini Babybel.

Next I wrapped that Almighty Meatball with two pieces of Thick Cut Naturally Hickory Smoked Bacon and sprinkled a little bit more of the Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork Rub on them.

IMG_0043.jpg

Then I fired up my 50 year old Imperial Kamado with some Trader Joes Hard Wood Briquets and A couple chunks of Apple wood. I brought the temp up to 250 degrees and popped them Bad Balls into smoke for an hour and a half.

Photo of my Almighty Meatballs in the Imperial Kamado just before I put two slices of American Cheese on them.

IMG_0049.jpg

Just before I pulled them off the smoker.

IMG_0055.jpg

My SACKBOYS, (Pirate & Chop Chop) APPROVE! :thumb:

IMG_1130.jpg

Close up shot before I put my Almighty Meatball into A toasted Bun.

IMG_0068.jpg

Money Shot.

IMG_0076.jpg

Thanks for looking Brethren! :-D

Nice looking, juicy balls :thumb: Excellent usage of the baby cheeses crutch too. I think the baby cheeses crutch should now be called the "Tebow" :becky:

The Tebow crutch would have been if he threw the raw meatballs with reckless abandon as far as he could, and they magically landed on a plate fully cooked and ready to eat.

Of course, it doesn't always work. Often the meatball lands on the ground, or on somebody else's plate, and they end up eating your lunch. :becky:

CD

I think the baby cheeses crutch should now be called the "Tebow" :becky:

I would like to go on record that for my meatball throwdown entry there was no Tebow Crutch used. I actually had to cut chunks off of a block of cheese for the making of my meatballs. :bow: No crutch for me. :cop:

Zombie Apocky-Lips MeatBalls.......

For my meatball entry I created some snazzy Art....

zombie_eye_meatball_fullbck.jpg

I am in possession of an authentic Italian Granny's 100 year old MeatBall recipe,(according to the interweb site I snagged it from).

Recipe.jpg

Although, I have made a few adjustments and additions to the formula and now call it my own.

N8man's 100 Year Old Zombie Meatball Recipe

1 lb Ground Chuck Hamburger
1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
1 lb Ground Pork
4 oz Italian Bread Crumbs
4 oz Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 large Red Onion Chopped Fine
3 Tbls Pesto
2 Tbls Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbls Roasted Garlic
3/4 oz Fresh Chopped Basil
3/4 oz Fresh Chopped Parsely
3/4 oz Fresh Chopped Oregano
4 Eggs Whisked
4 oz Whole Milk

Combine all ingredients, roll into balls roughly 2” in diameter.

Some of the players......

Meats_1.jpg

Ingredients_2.jpg

What really makes this recipe explode in flavor are the fresh chopped herbs....

Fresh_Herbs_3.jpg

Combined_4RGB.jpg

Balled_5RGB.jpg

CookingRGB.jpg

Shortly after the last batch was put on.....The Apocky-Lips Deluge began......

Rain_7.jpg

Some Smoked Meat Sauce, thawed and warming up on the stovetop....

Sauce_6.jpg

The Zombie Meatball Minions, awaiting to be commanded..... Being all about MeatBalls this is the one for my entry into the Throwdown please.....

RGB_Balls.jpg

Out from under the Broiler.......

Broiled_Balls_9RGB.jpg

This one's mine......Into my Belly!!!!

Plated_Balls_10-1.jpg

Have I mentioned before that....

MeatBallslr.jpg
???

Last edited:
Back