MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Top vent settings for BGE and WSM with ATC?

Finally picked up a BLUE Digi Q II and played around with it last night on my LBGE. Started out with the pit probe attatched to the dome thermometer, then moved it to different areas around of the grate. I was cooking a rack of BB's and didn't use the meat probe.
So..Guru and Stoker users, do you leave the lid vent, daisy wheel open or shut it somewhat when you reach your stabilized target temp? I played around with mine a bit, but by then my cook was done.
Any advice for both cookers?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I leave the daisy wheel barely open.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
JimT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Finally picked up a BLUE Digi Q II and played around with it last night on my LBGE. Started out with the pit probe attatched to the dome thermometer, then moved it to different areas around of the grate. I was cooking a rack of BB's and didn't use the meat probe.
So..Guru and Stoker users, do you leave the lid vent, daisy wheel open or shut it somewhat when you reach your stabilized target temp? I played around with mine a bit, but by then my cook was done.
Any advice for both cookers?

I've got a GURU and WSM. For me, the perfect combination is about 50% on the GURU slider and 30% on the top vent of the WSM. I'll sometimes leave both wide open to heat things up and get the fire burning cleanly, but shut them down before I reach my target temp.

HTH,

JimT

Old 01-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Armak
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have a Stoker and a large BGE

I find it depends on the temp. if real low and slow (200-220) than wheel just barely open.

Today I smoked a turkey and a fatty @ 250-275 (1st time for a fatty OMG should have done 2 as recommended. Between my wife, myself and my 3 boys it was gone in about 4 minutes) It was about 5 degrees outside and ended up leaving the wheel wide open and slightly cracked to keep the fan from running to much.

I was happy to see that my Stoker and my wireless bridge survived just fine for 5 hours in -1 to 9 degree weather
Armak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't have either of the cookers you do but I do have a Primo and I know it cooks identically to the egg. I leave my top vent about 1/4 to 1/3 open with the Guru. I have the 10 cfm blower on the Guru and I leave it 1/2 open during the cooks. These settings I pretty much never touch. The DigiQ does the rest. Quite well too I might add. Oh and I always clip the pit probe to the grate fairly close to the food. There is a 20 -30 degree difference in grate and dome temps. I figure it is better to know what the temp is near the food.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have the WSM / Guru set up. I leave the top vent wide open & the slider set at 50% with the 10 cfm fan. I might try closing the top vent a bit after reading this thread, though.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Rule of thumb that I've always heard and used for the WSM is the top vent always wide open no matter what.

Scott
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfisch View Post
Rule of thumb that I've always heard and used for the WSM is the top vent always wide open no matter what.

Scott
Yeah, I think that's true. Too much creosote can build up on the lid. However, the ATC can overshoot the temps and you may need to close down the top vent a little to cool things down. This is especially true if you have a leaky wsm.

I have a new 22" and have left the top vent open during the 2 cooks I've attmpted. However, it's also been below 20 degrees each time, so I'm not at risk for the cooker getting out of control hot.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post
Yeah, I think that's true. Too much creosote can build up on the lid. However, the ATC can overshoot the temps and you may need to close down the top vent a little to cool things down. This is especially true if you have a leaky wsm.

I have a new 22" and have left the top vent open during the 2 cooks I've attmpted. However, it's also been below 20 degrees each time, so I'm not at risk for the cooker getting out of control hot.
I have never had to close the top vent of anything I smoked on. Everything I have read advises against doing that for the creosote reason.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote