MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Default Bit by the dreaded "bad table" in West Virginia

1st place chicken, 1st place pork, 3rd place brisket......34th place ribs. Our ribs have done well all year. Table "1" had by far the lowest scores in all 4 categories. Even 25th in ribs would have earned us our first GC. In addition we missed out on a possible auto to the jack next year (wv)...and I missed awards because I was sleeping in my toy hauler and didnt get the message that awards were moved up an hour. 2 first place calls and I was sleeping (my first ever 1st place calls). I realize everyone takes it on the chin every once and awhile but DANG that was a stinger. Congrats to dizzy pig and others who walked, we will regroup and get um next time!

Help a brother out and give me some of your "bad table" stories so I know at least I'm not the only one!
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Think of it in a positive light. At least you didn't sleep through your first GC!

Great job, big calls. Don't get caught up in the would have, could have, should have stuff. Just go out and do it again.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
"Bone to Bark" BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Our brisket has landed on a bad table every contest this year! LOL
BTW, we slept through awards too, and missed our call for Smokin' sweets.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
Think of it in a positive light. At least you didn't sleep through your first GC!

Great job, big calls. Don't get caught up in the would have, could have, should have stuff. Just go out and do it again.
Thanks dan, we always joke and say there should be a 5th category and trophy for beating 3 eyez! That would have been a first time for us as well! Good luck at the jack, I will be pulling for the MABA teams.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
1st place chicken, 1st place pork, 3rd place brisket......34th place ribs. Our ribs have done well all year. Table "1" had by far the lowest scores in all 4 categories. Even 25th in ribs would have earned us our first GC. In addition we missed out on a possible auto to the jack next year (wv)...and I missed awards because I was sleeping in my toy hauler and didnt get the message that awards were moved up an hour. 2 first place calls and I was sleeping (my first ever 1st place calls). I realize everyone takes it on the chin every once and awhile but DANG that was a stinger. Congrats to dizzy pig and others who walked, we will regroup and get um next time!

Help a brother out and give me some of your "bad table" stories so I know at least I'm not the only one!
Did your other product(s) land on good tables? I really think the good/bad table karma evens itself over time, if there is such a thing as "good" and "bad" tables in the first place. I'm not convinced there is, despite KCBScore showing concentrations of bad scores as well as good ones at every cope I've been to since it was implemented. Sometimes good and bad entries get put together by luck. If it makes you feel any better, I took in the the shorts in brisket at Bluemont (26th) at a table that also had 25th, 27th and 32nd brisket. It also had the 6th place brisket, which belonged to Jay R of 4:20Q. I finished 3rd. He took GC. My takeaway? Cook better brisket.

Great finish at Hedgesville! Keep it up and the GC will come!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit R View Post
Did your other product(s) land on good tables? I really think the good/bad table karma evens itself over time, if there is such a thing as "good" and "bad" tables in the first place. I'm not convinced there is, despite KCBScore showing concentrations of bad scores as well as good ones at every cope I've been to since it was implemented. Sometimes good and bad entries get put together by luck. If it makes you feel any better, I took in the the shorts in brisket at Bluemont (26th) at a table that also had 25th, 27th and 32nd brisket. It also had the 6th place brisket, which belonged to Jay R of 4:20Q. I finished 3rd. He took GC. My takeaway? Cook better brisket.

Great finish at Hedgesville! Keep it up and the GC will come!
I agree with you. There were other teams that got hurt by this table but I saw the numbers and they looked obvious. Here are the table 1 results out of 37 teams:
Chicken: 17,23,25,35,36,37
Ribs: 6,20,21,22,34,36,37
Pork: 27,28,31,32,33,36
Brisket: 8,11,26,33,36,37

Old 09-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Good table, bad table. Usually, all my entries land on a BAD table.

That table is MINE!

Like others have said, I need to be consistent; consistently better and better.

In your case, it does look like you were so dam close.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
little bit of r & r
Knows what a fatty is.

The good/bad table was in full force at the SAMs regional in Chesapeake tables 4 and 5 were the highest scoring 5 on one table for chicken was on top 10 and we got third on our table in brisket and had a 3rd place brisket (it wasn't that good) but the other categories landed on table 1,2 and 3 which kept us from qualifying.
little bit of r & r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bone to Bark" BBQ View Post
Our brisket has landed on a bad table every contest this year! LOL
BTW, we slept through awards too, and missed our call for Smokin' sweets.
Dang that happens to you too?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

On the other hand, it sounds like you hit 3 pretty good tables.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, I had an entry on "Table 1". They definitely dominated the bottom of each category. This is not new news. It's just the way it is. Now, KCBS lets you see it on paper.

Congrats on a great showing. Keep cooking and you'll get that GC.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Just made some killer Brunswick stew with the competition left-overs, don't worry table #1 judges, I left out the rib meat...

Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Theresa B
Full Fledged Farker

I was at table 4 at Chesapeake...we had good food for the most part!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]22.5 WSM[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]KCBS member/CBJ/CTC[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]MABA Board of Directors [/FONT]
Theresa B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

After you win 2 categories and the third is high and bomb#4 about 3 times like we have they say it will get better...not that I believe it Best I have done when this happened is 3rd
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bit of r & r View Post
The good/bad table was in full force at the SAMs regional in Chesapeake tables 4 and 5 were the highest scoring 5 on one table for chicken was on top 10 and we got third on our table in brisket and had a 3rd place brisket (it wasn't that good) but the other categories landed on table 1,2 and 3 which kept us from qualifying.
Uh, we had the same tables. (3, 5, 1, 2)
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->