Tenderloin with Carne Crosta on a Comal

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After realizing there is a Beefsteak TD, I had to post this (even though it is also an answer to a question in another thread).

One of the local grocery stores sells the butt end of the tenderloin for 6.99/lb.

I can harvest 4 filet mignons from it, and then I have two pieces of tenderloin left. I trimmed the silverskin and fat away from one of the pieces, and dusted it with Oakridge BBQ Carne Crosta.

fm1.jpg

Let it sit for 45 minutes at room temp.

fm2.jpg

Onto a hot comal for 8 minute (2/2/2/2)

fm3.jpg

Rest for 5 minutes, and voila!

fm4.jpg

Looks fantastic, and great seasoning choice, John! Tell us more about the comal...

Looks fantastic, and great seasoning choice, John! Tell us more about the comal...

I bought it at Northgate Market for $8 years ago. I seasoned it like a would a cast iron skillet.

I use it normally to blister peppers and tomatoes for salsa, and toasting street taco tortillas. Recently, I found it works for cooking pre-made carne asada and al pastor (since I don't have a Blackstone yet).

I decided to experiment to see if I could sear a piece of meat with it. This post was the result.

No experience with a comal cooker but I’ve eaten (and even cooked) a few great steaks. That sure looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Oakridge Carne Crosta is my go to rub for steaks. It really does the job for me and my taste buds. Glad to see a fellow fan. Looks like a good cook

Back