MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #16
thesemicullen
Full Fledged Farker

Speaking as just a judge, my opinion is certainly biased, but I think the judging class - more importantly, judging - will do nothing but help you. That said, I have cook team friends who do pretty well and have never been to a judging class, so I don't think it's necessary.

The thing about judging a comp is that after you judge a category, you can talk to you fellow judges about what they scored their entries and why they scored them that way. Learning the process is one thing, but being able to discuss entries and scoring in the moment is invaluable. It makes better judges, and I can only assume it would be good for cooks.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #17
DR
Take a breath!

I liked the judging class mainly because it showed me its not as easy to judge as most people think.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #18
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

I totally agree with Ed (ModelMaker) - I was a CBJ (with a couple different organizations) and had judged several contests before I competed the first time. I felt that I knew what would do good in the judging tent and tried to turn in entries that matched that criteria. ALSO, I strongly suggest that new teams take a look at BBQCritic.com to see LOTS of different boxes, not so much to see what the on-line judges scored the boxes (ALL over the place), but to read the comments and glean ideas of what judges think looks good/bad.

If you don't have an idea as to what wins, then you are going into the competition with as much chance of winning as playing the lottery! LUCK!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #19
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Two people have mentioned either a tell all class $$$$ or lots of practice cooks $$$$ but a cbj class is so much less of a cost then those and it will help you know what the judges are looking for. You can just jump right in and go and that's fine but if you have the opportunity to take a class and you pass it up then I think that is an unused resource.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #20
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

BBQ really isn't rocket surgery. Don't try to make it too complicated.

If you want to compete, then compete.

If you want to judge, then judge.

One isn't dependent upon the other.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #21
Captain Porkard
Knows what a fatty is.

I think taking a judging class is a great way to learn! We took one after doing 2 comps and I've judged once. My wife has helped out at a few comps and is actually getting trained to run a comp now. All the members of our team went to the class and it has helped out immensely!
Captain Porkard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Competition, Judge, kcbs