Any experience with El Diablo Charcoal?

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
I made a run to CostCo this morning. Amongst the few things I needed to grab, I discovered a big-arsed 40lb bag of El Diablo Charcoal for $13. Needless to say, I put one in the cart.

I've had good experiences in recent couple of months cooking over all mesquite charcoal from the local El Super Meximart.

If my next few cooks turn out the way I'd like them to, I may have a new go-to.

Here's their website link.

I did a quick search on here w/o luck. Curious if others have had good luck with the brand.

Thin blue and kind regards.

I used to buy El Diablo at Albertsons Santa Fe. Loved it. Occasionally it shows up east of you. Not often enough though. Same with any large bag quite a few crumbs near the end but at that price point it’s awesome.

I’d go back and get 5 bags to get you through Thanksgiving anyway.

It's excellent stuff Marc! I use it all the time for grilling. No dirt or dust. Top notch.

ooPKqWnh.jpg

I'll snag a bag from time to time from Costco Business, and I think they had it at RD for a while too. Great stuff, esp. for that great price. Sparks like crazy on lightup, which doesn't really bother me...too much...:becky:

I’ve always thought it interesting how Brethren “jump back” from mesquite. I get the whole green thing but seasoned or coals in my advanced beginner world I think mezkeet is only second to hickory in burn and aroma. I don’t live among trees. I can go hundreds of miles and the only trees are cottonwood and elm in creeks. But through history cows have made sure the High Plains have mesquite

http://www.eldiablocharcoal.com/facts.php

This is crazy. I've got HUGE limbs in this bag... digging down to find nearly bespoke hunks that'll fit in my Vortex to cook some wings tonight.
NFdMymIl.jpg

phe2eDDl.jpg

No crumbs or rocks or mess thus far in the bag.

I love it! The lil brown paper bags you get at the MexiMarts is good stuff too. I have been going with Lazarri Mesquite Lump these days. 40lbs for about 14-15 bucks at Shamrock Foods Warehouse. If you have not tried it, give it a go. I really like it.

Bob

I love it! The lil brown paper bags you get at the MexiMarts is good stuff too. I have been going with Lazarri Mesquite Lump these days. 40lbs for about 14-15 bucks at Shamrock Foods Warehouse. If you have not tried it, give it a go. I really like it.

Cheers, Bob! Big fan of Shamrock here, but it's been a couple of years since my last visit. "Splurged" and picked up my $19 brisket slicing knife there. I need to go have another nose-round soon.

Sod it. This just became a cook thread.

Bird was pricy at CostCo, but I grabbed the last "flat-pack" of wings available at a significantly lower price than the usual "party wing" packs.

xHOAhbvl.jpg

- Wicken Yanks Buffalo
- Grace Mild Jamaican Jerk
- Very Mild Garlic & Onion

XowQ9D5l.jpg

22.5 + Vortex are running nice and hot... 500ish on the dome. Time to add the bird.

zPPCiAXl.jpg

Scenic Sidenote: Sunset over the Petroglyphs lava flow sure doesn't suck from the back yard!

Fks539Sl.jpg

Contacted El Diablo via email and received a quick response

I inquired if there was a current El Diablo dealer near me. Here is response

“Sorry no. All Costco stores in NM carry and Costco Business Center in Dallas.”

Rudy Gibson
BJ Products Inc

Munchkin came outside with me during the cook and got back to her chalk artistry on the walls. We've always loved this Japanese Children's Summer Outfit (a "jinbei") on her.

qTTi0WQl.jpg

Then, she started working on new rules for hop-scotch, and designed a new "board."

VtlP4Yel.jpg

Wings were ready after a bit.

y90temWl.jpg

I hit the buffalo with sauce, squeezed lime over the Jamaican Jerk, and doled out Blue Cheese Dressing.

No Pr0n, but my girls crushed that bird. Fresh fruit quickly arrived for dessert, and we're all stuphed.

I chalk (Ha!) up a check in the W column regarding the El Diablo Charcoal. Thank you for the help. I'll go get a few more bags before it's gone.

Have a great week, folks! Busy one starts dark and early here in ABQ!
Thin blue and kind regards,
Shadow / Marc

El Diablo is sparky at the start, especially when using the weed burner. Ventilated a MTB shirt once :mmph:

Never found any rocks or mystery wood in the bags.
The Shamrock near I25 & Montano used to stock it, not sure if they still do.

El Diablo is sparky at the start, especially when using the weed burner.

Thanks for the heads-up. The big-arsed chunks seemed to keep that down... even below B&B levels!

We'll see how it works next time.

Cheers!

Back